We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK by car.

Victoria
4 posts
Save Topic
UK by car.

Thanks for your previous advise. After searching through the forums have come up with the following itinerary, still not sure that we have allowed enough time for each area so would be grateful for any input.

We arrive in London on 13th Dec (early am) and leave on European tour on 18th Dec. These days we have left for sightseeing in London. - is this long enough?

Arrive back in London on the 2nd Jan and so far have planned as follows:

3rd Jan: Train to York stay for 2 nights

5th Jan: Pick up hire car and drive to Cardiff via Stratford upon Avon and the Cotswolds. 2 nights in Cardiff. ( or 1 night in Startford area & 1 night in Cardiff)

7th Jan: Drive from Cardiff to Bath, 1 night in Bath

8th Jan: Drive from Bath to Heathrow via Stonehenge and Salisbury

9th Jan: Flight fom Heathrow am.

It has been suggested that we should see Oxford instead of Stratford. Any suggestions please.

As we are from Australia we are well used to driving long distances, so not sure if i am putting too much into one day given that the days will be short and the weather could be bad. We would be grateful for any ideas as we are first timers to this part of the world.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK by car.

Your four or five days in London is fine for a first visit. You should be able to visit all the major sights that interest you. The day and a half in York is also fine. I don’t get the point of the drive to Cardiff, passing through the Cotswolds. You won’t be really experiencing the Cotswolds. Unless you have a very specific interest, Cardiff is not worth the longish drive, and you are not really seeing Wales by visiting Cardiff. Given your limited time, my real advice would be to stay in the Yorkshire area for the full five days, but if you must visit the south, I would suggest dropping Cardiff, and perhaps spending the two nights in the Cotswolds, or 3 nights in Bath. The Bath, Stonehenge, Salisbury plan is ok.

Oxford is well worth a visit. Although I have been within two miles of Stratford, I have never found a reason to visit, so I can’t compare the two.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK by car.

If you're a Shakespeare fan, then yes, I'd visit Stratford upon Avon.

York to Cardiff does seem a long distance, with little time to see anything. Maybe stick with the Stratford/Cotswold area.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK by car.

I take it you have a specific reason to go to Cardiff? Relatives or similar?

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: UK by car.

I too am confused about the Cardiff portion of the itnerary. Seems like an awfully long way to go unless you are visiting family or friends there.

If it's just to visit some other place then--nice as I am sure Cardiff is-- I would stick to somewhere between Bath and York, the Cotswolds perhaps.

Do remember that it gets dark about 4pm at this time of year so your days are shortened or you are driving in the dark, not much fun while on vacation in foreign parts.

If you have no interest in Shakespear then Oxford might be better though parking there is a nightmare.

If you are just looking for a nice place to visit then there are numerous nice towns in the Cotswolds which would keep you closer to the route to Bath.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK by car.

Agree with the above in general. My one suggestion (provided you like countryside, and driving, as I do) would be to stay off the motorways - you see nothing from them. Buy an atlas (less than £10 frm virtually any petrol station or bookshop) and pick a route that shows you a bit of the landscape. To the West of York lie the Yorkshire Dales national park, south of this is the Peak District NP, both are beautiful areas (even in winter). Just use the main highways to avoid driving through the big towns, all of which can be a bit of a nightmare

Victoria
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: UK by car.

Thanks everybody,

We have scrapped Cardiff and will spend our time in York, The Cotswolds and Bath. There was no real reason for visiting Cardiff, except to see a little of Wales, had initially hoped to go to Ireland but alas not enough time for this. Its a relief to have this sorted out so can now just be excited instead of stressing about it. So again, thanks for your input.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: UK by car.

One more little thing to keep in mind: distances. If your map tells you a trip is 20 miles, say, expect it to take 2-3 times as long as it would in Australia!

Think I may have suggested a small car not realizing you were used to driving on the left( I wasn't paying attention to where you were from, sorry!) so ignore that suggestion, but the roads are no doubt narrower than yours so it may still be a good idea.

Have a great trip.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK by car.

Nice and interesting as Cardiff is, with lots to see and do, you've made the right decision to scrap it from this itinerary where it would not justify the long drive and from York you are talking about 4-5 hours drive.

If you want to have a taste of Wales you might still do it by popping over the border to Llangollen and combining it with a visit to Chester, and dropping one of the other places you had in mind.

Here are some pics of Llangollen:

http://www.llangollen.org.uk/

9. Re: UK by car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 14:22