We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

Northern Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

Does anyone know about smoking restrictions in English restaurants and pubs? What about on the trains and coaches?

The U.S. newspapers let us know that all of Ireland is no smoking and many entire states in the US are totally non smoking including Ohio which just passed a law to that effect in November 2006.

Keentvl

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,364 Reviews
from US$130.60*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,131 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.70
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
519 Reviews
from US$117.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$347.80*
London, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

There's been no smoking on buses/coaches and trains for some time. A ban on smoking in pubs and restaurants is being implemented from 1st July in England, 1st April in Wales and is already in place in Scotland.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Northern Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

Do you know if the new law that goes into effect in July covers hotel rooms? Or do hotels and bed and breakfasts already have primarily or totally non-smoking rooms?

keentvl

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

It covers public places. And not before time.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

The smoking ban comes in on 1st July and covers all workplaces and enclosed public places. I googled and got lots of references, this one says that hotel rooms are exempt so things should stay as they are now.

thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/…smokingban

Most hotels have some smoking and some non-smoking rooms. If they keep the smoking rooms you will able to smoke in your room or outside the building. The rooms tend to be in blocks in the larger hotels. You should be able to request smoking rooms from each hotel or tour company for your reservations. I have never heard of penalties from hotels if someone does smoke in a non-smoking room.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

You also can not smoke anywhere on the underground or at most mainline railway termini.

Northern Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

We won't be smoking anywhere. We are happy about the ban and feel it will make our travel in England much more enjoyable.

We try hard to avoid secondhand smoke where ever we go.

Thanks for all your input. We appreciate it.

Keentvl

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

I just returned from my trip and was surprised at how many people smoke in England as compared to the US. I'm not a smoker, but never really minded being in places where people smoked. But when seemingly 75% of the occupants are puffing away, some of the pubs in England got almost chokingly aweful. If you go before the ban, make sure you wear clothes you'll not wear again for the duration of your trip. They will reek of smoke after you leave. I love the pub atmosphere, but some were so bad we simply had to leave and hit the next one. Fortunately, England is filled with pubs!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,529 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

Max85 - that's a good observation. According to statistics, only around 30% of Brits smoke but if you took a straw poll in any pub in London you would find that figure a lot higher. Most smokers will tell you they smoke more when having a pint so this could be why it always seems smoky in pubs. A lot of pubs also do not have good ventilation which doesn't help.

As a smoker living in Scotland (which has had the ban for a year now) I have never had a problem with the ban and I can fully appreciate the good it will do for non-smoking drinkers and bar staff. If I want to smoke, I will quite happily go outside.

Interestingly, in Ireland, a lot of the pubs have built covered areas out the back of the pub or installed one of those 'smoking cubicles' inside the pub which is well ventilated.

In Spain, the ban was introduced then rescinded almost immediately after protests from bar owners losing money.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

Just to reiterate a point made on earlier posting on this thread that the smoking ban comes into force in Wales on 1 April - 4 years after the Government in Wales voted to ban it (the first in the UK to do so) - it is only now that London has ceded power to Cardiff to put the law into effect - and a gentle swipe by Cardiff back to London that we accelerated the process to beat you English to it (smug smile)

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No smoking in restaurants, pubs, trains, coaches

Aye. So as an ex-smoker I shall spend my time in the pub in Wales this weekend kippering myself in commemoration of something that's about to go, and intend to do the same thing at some point in the last 2 weeks in England before the ban. After that, I won't bother having another fag

It's the right thing to do, I think it will make a massive difference to smoking rates in the country and make for a more pleasant atmos for non-smokers, but I can't help feeling slight distaste for the questionable premise on which the ban was sold (protection of workers). The government should have had the guts to say they were doing it for public health reasons by creating a powerful disincentive to bother smoking

Also can't help feeling faintly nauseated by the smugness with which some - in my experience, notably people who don't frequent the places anyway - banging on about coming home from the pub without smelling. I don't find a lot of real pub-goers who are that militant about it

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom