We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train help

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Train help

I'm sure I've seen a site somewhere that lists all the stops certain trains make - does anyone know what site it is? I want to get a train to Torquay which at the mo is coming up at £108. I can go to York and then change trains and go from there for £38 but I want to see if I can stay on one train for the whole journey.

Cheers

Lou

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train help

If you want to see how you can get there without changing just go to any of the rail sites, put in your journey, and set the option for 'through trains only' instead of the default of 'unlimited changes'

The german railways site has the option to show the full journey/stops of any train - but it's not very good at including timetable alterations www.bahn.de or something like that.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train help

To my knowledge, National Rail online enquiries only display start and end point together with changing points - it does not display intermediate stops.

The way I overcome this limitation is to use the following DBahn web page; it works fine for any station in Europe including UK stations: reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/bhftafel.exe/en?

One limitation of the DBahn screen is that it does not display every intermediate calling point on long routes (such as Durham / Torquay) but displays approx the first 6 calling points then (after a symbol defined in the explanation section) only principal stations. One can easily overcome this limitation by clicking in turn on the first major station after the symbol (say Birmingham NS), changing the time block to reflect that of your intended train and all the intermediate stops up to (say) Exeter will then display.

You should be able to book discount Virgin Value fares all the way from Durham to Torquay provided you use Virgin Cross Country services for the entire trip (they are quite frequent so that shouldn't cause a problem). Make sure you are not looking for tickets more than 10 weeks in advance of travel and also select option for 'cheapest' rather than 'quickest' journey. If you use the Virgin Trains website to book tickets you'll probably find it easier to find Virgin Value tickets.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train help

what I want to do is, for example, see if I can get on the direct virgin train from durham to torquay but not buy that ticket instead by a cheaper option of for example durham -birmingham and then birmingham - torquay......all on the same train but I need to know where that virgin train stops along the way to see if it works out cheaper :)

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train help

Thanks hubbert - we posted at the same time :) I've been looking since they went on sale but nothings come up yet cheaper than £108 single - last time I got it for about £28 I think!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train help

There are some direct trains on Durham / Torquay route but, at certain times, you will need to change at either Birmingham NS or Bristol TM while still using Virgin XC services for the entire trip.

All Virgin XC services between Durham and the West Country stop at York, Derby, Birmingham NS and Bristol TM - this should give you a good starting point if you need to break journey down into 2 components for ticketing purposes.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,842 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train help

nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/download_tt.h…

The one you need is virgintrains.co.uk/img/…VT3.pdf

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train help

Thats perfect Alan - thanks for both of yours help - I'm off to do more ticket hunting now!!!

Lou

8. Re: Train help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 03:16