We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why won't pub/inn & hotel accommodation respond 2 my emails?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Why won't pub/inn & hotel accommodation respond 2 my emails?

Can anyone help me please? I'm trying to book accommodation in England for later in the year. I've sent off LOADS of emails to pubs and inns and manor/hotels and got very few replies. I'm wanting historic places to stay, ones that haven't been turned 'modern' inside but I'm finding it nearly impossible to book anything. I actually sent off an email asking to book a room in a very prominent castle/hotel and still have not heard anything after 2 more follow up emails. Are enough people booking just by turning up on the day and so they don't need anymore business? I can't understand why these places have such great websites and yet they don't respond to messages. Can anyone give me any insight as to why this may be? I'm getting close to cancelling this part of my trip and going straight from Canada to Europe. Thanks in advance!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why won't pub/inn & hotel accommodation respond 2 my emails?

I had a similar experience when booking b&Bs for a trip across the UK, maybe 1/3 responded to email, for the others I phoned and then followed up with a letter. yes, an actual written letter :-)

And IME generally the older/smaller the place the more that phone or letter was needed. The place might be run by someone who has been running it for the last 25 years, they always got their booking by phone and letter and thats still how they come in, if they are getting enough bookings like this they dont need to use email.

Maybe the reason why a lot may have great website but not respond to your email is that they paid someone else to put it up, not having a clue how the internet thing worked?

Pick up the phone.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Why won't pub/inn & hotel accommodation respond 2 my emails?

I travel to the UK once or twice a year. My experience has been similar; many do not respond to e-mails. Since I am not as particular as the OP about my accommodations, I simply move on to other choices. I guess if I were particular, I would take Joe's advice and phone. I certainly would never consider cancelling my visit because a few people didn't respond to e-mails.

3. Re: Why won't pub/inn & hotel accommodation respond 2 my emails?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 07:18