We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Warwick then Warwick to Edinburgh?

Colorado
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London to Warwick then Warwick to Edinburgh?

Can anyone help me out with this crazy idea I have? I'm wondering how smoothly a day could go if Istarted out in London, took the train to Warwick, stopped off to see the castle, and then finished my journey on to Edinburgh? Can you tell me what the train travel time is and also the cost of tickets for each leg of the journey? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Warwick then Warwick to Edinburgh?

Impossible in one day. Train from Marylebone to Warwick, about 1 hour and a bit. From Warwick to Edinburgh you need to change at Birmingham New Street and this leg will take at least 5 hours.

If you still feel inclined to attempt this, then this is the web site you need for times and prices

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Good luck!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Warwick then Warwick to Edinburgh?

You might find it easier to return to London and take the sleeper train to edinburgh - See the firstscotrail website & check under "bargain berths" though i'd seen other reports that phoning them can get you a cheap berth

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Warwick then Warwick to Edinburgh?

Not impossible but worth it? You'd have to be pretty keen.

At the moment (next week) there seem to be some direct trains from Leamington Spa to Edinburgh. Still in the realms of 5-6 hours but at least you don't have to worry about changes!

However the fares are in excess of £80 quid single!

Looking a month on from now an curiously there are no direct trains? Maybe due to works planned or seasonal change. And then only one fare that wasn't in the realms of £80 quid single.

The castle opens at 10am so If you were there for the opening you'd have 3-4 hours (at a push) before you'd need to get your next train otherwise you'll be arriving at Edinburgh very late (or the next day)

Is this enough to enjoy the castle? Up to you.

Also what would you do with your luggage? Neither Warick or Leamington has luggage facility. Am not sure what the Castle has either.

So yes, as you say, I'd have to conclude you're nuts ;-)

A whole day on the train and a couple of hours at the castle and then arriving with only time to enjoy part of the evening in Edinburgh which does have a castle too! Or was there something specific about Warwick Castle?

(I lived next door to it for a while and never went in!)

Colorado
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Warwick then Warwick to Edinburgh?

We'll be spending a few days in London and also a few in and around Edinburgh, but I thought it might make sense to break up the long train journey between London and Edinburgh with Warwick Castle. I'll keep looking into it, but I might re-think it as an excursion from London and then maybe a sleeper train to Edinburgh. Or we may just have to skip the castle all together. Any ideas on how far of a train journey it would be to Warwick from Bath? Because we'll be spending a few days in that area as well.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Warwick then Warwick to Edinburgh?

Warwick to Bath Spa by train involves at least two changes at Leamington Spa, Oxford and sometimes Didcot and takes between 2h10 and 2h45.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Warwick then Warwick to Edinburgh?

Bath Spa to Warwick or Leamington is still complicated with 2 or 3 changes 2-3 hours travel (each way) and fares of £35 or so upwards.

London to Warwick is under 2 hours some are near 1.5 hours and £25 cheap day return even before 09:30 so you can get there early.

www.networkrail.co.uk is the best site to try out combinations.

7. Re: London to Warwick then Warwick to Edinburgh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 03:18