We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

norovirus outbreak in the UK

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
norovirus outbreak in the UK

hello, sorry to share bad news but are you aware that there is a Major epidemic of norovirus going on currently all over the UK? please be very careful about washing hands thoroughly before eating anything. stay well and be careful.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

Er, yes, we are all well aware of it thanks.

It's not actually 'all over the UK' yet and to be honest, I don't know of anybody who has contracted it yet so it's hardly epidemic proportions.

There's normally some bug or other doing the rounds in temperate zones but there's hardly need to panic

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

in excess of 200,000 cases per week and rising.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,014 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

100,000 the last I heard - and it's also in New Zealand

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

Oh my God! Put the closed sign up at the airports! Britain is a major health risk to visitors!

Do you never have colds or flu in Hawaii?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

In fairness to mauna kea lady (we were there, btw! Wonderful place), this from the Telegraph:

"Up to 200,000 people a week are expected to contract norovirus over the next month as the disease reaches its seasonal peak.

This winter cases are already double the number seen last year and are at the highest level for five years. Doctors have urged anyone who is suffering sickness and diarrhoea to stay away from A&E and GP surgeries to avoid spreading it and call for advice is symptoms persist for more than a few days."

This is an annual occurrence, but does seem to be getting worse, although the illness itself, whilst contagious, is usually self-limiting, but obviously you don't want it ruining your holiday. My advice? Stay away from hospitals, schools, nursing homes and cruise ships.

And yes, use hand wipes.

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

this is not some kind of criticism. I simply think travelers need to be aware of this, so they can prevent getting it.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

Isn't it amazing what affect these new posh words for traditional winter ailments can have? There is a perceptive and amusing article in today's Times on this subject.

timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article3142021.ece

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

Isn't it what I always used to call "a cold"?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

Maybe not "a cold", GB - don't think I've ever heard throwing up for 24 hours called "a cold", but maybe that's just me. But it's really just a nasty tummy bug - unless you're in a particularly "at risk" group then it's not going to do you much harm, you'll just feel vile for a day or two.

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: norovirus outbreak in the UK

well, this is more than just an inconvenient little winter flu.

according to today's Daily Mail:"Vomiting Cases to soar as millions head back to work: parents are urged today to disinfect TV remote controls, computer keyboards and phones to protect their families from the sickness bug sweeping the country. The advice comes as experts fear the number of cases of norovirus - which causes uncontrollable pojectile vomiting - will soar this week as millions return to work and school after the Christmas break. No part of the country has escaped the clutches of the vomiting bug, which is claiming up to 200,000 victims a week and costing the economy an estimated 40 million GBP a day in lost productivity. Some 100 hospital wards were closed to new admissions last week in a desperate attempt to halt the march of the virus, which is 100,000 times more infectious than Salmonella..."