We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

Hi, well after weeks of posting questions and being helped a lot by all you kind TA people my husband and I have formulated our itinerary. Here goes:

London 7 nights (can't change this bit)

After London train it to Maidstone to pick up a hire car then

2 nights Rye

2 nights Portsmouth

2 nights Bath

3 nights Cotswolds somewhere ?Stratford-upon-Avon

3 nights North Yorkshire possibly Pickering

last night maybe stay in Northampton or Cambridge

next day fly home to Australia late night flight

Does this sound do able? We have decided to not stress about trying to see everything. Mainly want to have an enjoyable holiday and take home lots of happy memories. Originally we were going to try and get over to Cornwall but after getting some much appreciated feedback on the Cornwall site we have decided to save that for another trip.

Is there anything we should change or swap around?

By the way we are early 50's so taking no kids with us!

Would welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

Jane

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

I'd say its very doable assuming you will be doing it by car (I wouldn't like to try this by public transport).

Its hard to say what you should change or swap around as you don't say why you are going to these places, so I'm assuming they have all been chosen by you for particular excellent reasons. For example Portsmouth is a great stop for the various naval museums, but otherwise I wouldn't advise staying there.

If it was *me* (but you're you !) I'd visit Cornwall instead of Yorkshire, putting it in between Portsmouth and Bath (Possibly with an overnight stop on the way). This would also give you an easier last day drive back to the airport from the Cotswolds area.

I strongly advise renting a sat nav with the car, it will take a lot of stress away especially when you accidentally go off route, and also make it easy to go off your route to see something.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

Hello Joe. Thanks for your reply.

Yes we are picking up a car probably in Maidstone. This will be in September.

Main sights we would like to see for the Rye area include: Chartwell, Dover's white cliffs and Castle, Battle of Hastings site and Battle Abbey. If we get through these in 2 days we will be going well.

Portsmouth - you're spot on - the naval museum, car museum and submarine museum (know of any good markets while my husband is seeing these two!?)

Bath and Cotswolds - a less intense few days checking out the sights, see a Shakespearian play, Warwick Castle, explore villages, get some washing done.

North Yorkshire - York, Whitby, Fountains Abbey, Durham Castle

Maybe check out Nottingham on the way back south if time permits. My husband would love to check out Silverstone in Northampton also. I would have liked to have visited Althorp but that will be closed when we are travelling in September.

We have mulled over seeing Cornwall for ages, but there is so much we want to see there we think we would be better off to leave it until another trip.

Thanks for your input!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

"(know of any good markets while my husband is seeing these two!?)"

Not a market as such, but you can check out Gunwharf Quays shopping area, and perhaps go up the Spinnaker Tower there, plus plenty of cafes to while away the time.

From memory the submarine museum is a little way out of town, away from the Mary Rose and The Victory which I presume at least he will be visiting, and its 'sort of' on the way to Bath (well, its to the West!) so I suggest you go to that together otherwise he has a slog back into Portsmouth and its traffic to pick you up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

I am really excited about seeing the Mary Rose and the Victory. There is so much history attached to them.

The car and sub museum don't really rock my socks having been to a car museum before in Oz and been on 2 subs already. Although Donald Campbell's Bluebird apparently can be seen at the car museum so that heightens my interest somewhat.

The traffic advice is very helpful. Thanks Joe.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

I didn't know there was a car museum in Portsmouth...there is another much more famous one* 'just up the road' near Southampton (again, 'sort of' on the way to Bath) maybe he could visit that while you visit the house? http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

Ok, done some checking, if Bluebird is at the museum I think that IS Beaulieu and thats not in Portsmouth at all ...better double check where that? :-)

*it must be if I've heard of that but not the Portsmouth one :-)

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

HMS Alliance (submarine) is in Gosport, not too far away, here's the website link:

http://www.rnsubmus.co.uk/tour/alliance.htm

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

Jane, I've got a funny thing to comment on. My family of five travelled to England a few months ago and I heard that finding a laundromat/ wash center was difficult. After reading this posting, noticed you mentioned washing (Bath/Cotswolds) We did happen to come upon one in Bath somewhere, right in the midst of a nice shopping area. Sorry that I can't be anymore specific.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

Hi Joe. Yes you're correct. Beaulieu is the one my husband was talking about. We were thinking Beaulieu was much closer to Portsmouth originally. Just looked up your link. The National Motor Museum doesn't look too bad to me after all (no offence guys!). The James Bond attraction seemed to grab my attention for some reason!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

Thanks Steady I think by then we might be wanting to do some washing. At least I know there is one in Bath.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please check out our itinerary - opinions please!

Hooameye (great name BTW) thanks for that.