We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who does best deal for Euros?

Kent
Level Contributor
105 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Who does best deal for Euros?

Travelling to "Europe" next week - where should I go to get best deal buying Euros? It's so confusing with commisions, buy back rates, "free" offers - I know someone has worked out the best deals - want to share with the rest of us????

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Who does best deal for Euros?

It really does vary from day to day. It can even vary during the day. As at 5pm today it's Travelex at 1.2367 if you order in adavance. The Post Office is 1.2339, Asda is 1.2318 and M&S is 1.2259.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who does best deal for Euros?

M&S are always in the top 2 or 3 whenever I look, and theres not a lot to choose between the top few, Last time I looked, the post office (surprisingly to me) was v similar to M&S, just a tiny fraction worse, but again in the top few.

Kent
Level Contributor
105 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who does best deal for Euros?

One of the travel agents (Thomas Cook?) offer to buy back at their selling rate, but does this make sense if the rate is higher - also I think the Post Office is Commission Free - so does this make them better than M&S??

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,007 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Who does best deal for Euros?

ATM card when you get there - depending on your bank

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Who does best deal for Euros?

Thomas Cook and most travel agents are usually a lousy bet. Today TC are 1.2160. The rates I quoted above are all commission free. Yes ATMs once you're there are usually better rates than these.

But lets be frank here, the amount you'll save on let's say 500 Euros of spending money between today's best 3 is actually £3.50. Yes look for the best convenient deal but don't bust a gut saving the cost of one pint of beer or a Starbucks cappuccino!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who does best deal for Euros?

Best deal 4 weeks ago was also Travelex.

Kent
Level Contributor
105 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who does best deal for Euros?

Thanks guys - We went to M&S and got 250 euros for £205 - still feels like a rip-off

G

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Who does best deal for Euros?

<<The Post Office is 1.2339>>

Maybe it depends which Post Office. Mine was indicating 1.18 something yesterday for pre-order, collect at branch next day.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/

may be of help

9. Re: Who does best deal for Euros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 15:20