We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

I'm looking for an internet site that offers really good trip routing help in the U.K. I use Mapquest in the U.S. but it isn't available oversees. I looked at michelin.com last night but it wouldn't let you route your trip to several consecutive destinations. It listed how much travel from point a to point be would cost in petrol but I have no idea how often that is updated. I'd also like to find a site that shows you which roads in England are major highways and what the speed limit is on different roads.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

Many of us use www.theaa.com to plan our journeys, which provides a pretty accurate idea of timing - based on an average journey without stopping, without being caught up in rush hour jams, and no accidents or roadworks! Of which we have plenty, so suggest adding 20% to whatever it says the journey will take.

You can add in 'via' somewhere else, whether you want to avoid motorways and so on.

I would allow £40-ish to fill up an average car with petrol, which should then do maybe 350 miles??? That was very approximate, of course.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

www.theaa.co.uk or google maps. Google definitely lets you do multiple destination routes though it might be just as easy to print one map per destination?

I recommend buying a sat nav when you get here or maps for one if you already have one as our roads are much more difficult to navigate in general than US ones - worse signage, not in an easy grid pattern being two key differences.

I say buy because you can buy one for less than it will cost to rent one for a week and IIRC you are planning to be here for 2 weeks.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

I have used multimap.com too.

When touring, even with internet trip route instructions or the SatNav, we still liked to take along with us a motoring atlas of Britain - available at petrol stations. This was because the maps showed details of elevation, places of interest, smaller roads, etc and we used to like to switch off the SatNav and take a more scenic route. We have come across some gems in this manner. There has been the odd occasion when there has been a diversion and the SatNav kept taking us back to the same place. We have had to rely on the map in such instances.

On the other hand, there have been times when we input the option of 'shortest' rather than 'quickest' route on the SatNav and have been taken through quaint lanes and hardly used roads which were really beautiful.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

To some extent it does depend on the type of driving you want to do. If you want to get from A to B by the most obvious route then Sat navs and routing websites (the ones already mentioned are worth using) will give you the simplest routes

If, however, you want to take a more scenic route then a map is invaluable - the nature of electronic aids is they will always send you down the most major routes, and these are almost always the least scenic option

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

The RAC at www.route.rac.co.uk uses Multimap and is a similar site to the AA site.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

www.viamichelin.com has a "scenic" option, and scenic roads are marked in green.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

What is Sat navs that some of you recommend using? Is that the same as a GPS unit? If I buy one in the U.S. will it work in the U.K? Are we crazy to even think about driving there or would it be a lot safer/less stressful to take a train everywhere, even with 5 people? Do you know if car rental places require an international driver's permit in the U.K.?Thanks for your help.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

-What is Sat navs that some of you recommend using? Is that the same as a GPS unit?

Yes

-If I buy one in the U.S. will it work in the U.K?

IF you put UK maps in it ! Otherwise it will 'work' you'll find you are driving in a lot of empty space with no roads on it :-)

-Are we crazy to even think about driving there or would it be a lot safer/less stressful to take a train everywhere, even with 5 people?

It depends where 'everywhere' is. Certainly you can't get 'everywhere' by train.

-Do you know if car rental places require an international driver's permit in the U.K.?

Not AFAIK, just bring your US licence and a credit card and be aged more than about 25.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

Something about SatNavs in the news :

…aol.co.uk/driver-trusted-sat-nav-that-left/…

You have to be alert while using SatNavs and trip routing. Do take a motoring atlas along.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best internet site for trip routing info., etc.

>Are we crazy to even think about driving there or would it be a lot safer/less stressful to take a train everywhere, even with 5 people?<

To add to what Joe said, it would also depend on how much you like driving, how flexible you wish the trip to be, how stressed out you get and how much stress the group can handle.

As Joe said, you can't get everywhere by train.

We have been all over UK by car with kids. We have driven in London, on the motorways and on remote roads. We have been on a few of the most challenging routes.

However, my husband loves driving. I learned later. He is pretty unflappable, even with me navigating :) I learned to be good at it along the way. He never minded getting lost a bit, even if I did :) We always found our way back with the maps and signs.

The lanes in the UK are generally narrower than the US. You have to be alert for all the various road signs although a SatNav takes some of the stress out.

We know quite a few US expats who determinedly took to the roads soon after arriving in the UK because they wished to explore the country.

Do check with the rest of the group about their tolerance levels :-)

In any case, have a lovely trip. You cannot fail to enjoy the UK