We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grounded plug adapter for laptop

California
Level Contributor
160 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Grounded plug adapter for laptop

I've been looking for electric plug adapters, and it seems like all the travel kits have only ungrounded adapters. My laptop has a grounded (3 prong) plug, and I'm wondering if it is possible/safe to use an ungrounded adapter with it. I've seen some that accept 3 prongs as input and fit a 3-prong UK plug, but the 3rd (upper) output prong that goes into the UK wall outlet is just a plastic thingy. Do I risk frying my laptop (or myself) if I use this? I'm particilarly concerned because of the high voltage used in the UK. The transformer for my laptop is 100-240V, 50-60Hz, so all I need is an adapter. I could find a grounded one, but they are more expensive, plus I'd have to order it online and pay shipping.

Thanks,

RF

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grounded plug adapter for laptop

I'm surprised that a laptop power brick really needs a ground as most seem to be properly double insulated.

The adaptors sold in the UK normally have a proper earth (ground) pin and the fuse that they need to be legal, so wait and buy one here. Places like Boots sell a range.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,293 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grounded plug adapter for laptop

You can get "Visitor To The UK " adapters widely eg www.argos.co.uk item 982/7590

I do not recommend buying them outside the UK as foreign ones often do not include the necessary fuse or comply with BS safety standards.

Your laptop power supply may require earthing (grounding) for interference suppression.

California
Level Contributor
160 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grounded plug adapter for laptop

Thanks for the information and advice.

RF

4. Re: Grounded plug adapter for laptop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 06:18