We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

I am spending approximately 2 weeks in England at the end of September. We plan on renting a car and driving up to Oxford, Statford-upon-Avon, the Cotswolds, Cheltenham, down to Penzance, Plymouth, to Bath, Stonehenge, Salisbury, and end in London. I have a guide book that ticks off sights to see along the way, but I'm having a difficult time mapping out exactly where we will end up each night. How important is it that we book ahead of time places to stay?? Is it possible to "wing it" and find accommodations the day of? Or is this just risky? (I would pre-book London accommodations.)

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

As long as you have the phone number of the local tourist info centre for each major town you should be fine, you can call them and either have them arrange something or just give you numbers, you might nt get first choice but there will always be soemthing. You could also get a hold of B&B directories in advance and bring them with you. A cellphone would obviously help a lot.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

I would pre-book, tbh, at least your first destination to give you a bit of time to sort the next leg. The places you're visiting are popular tourist destinations, and it depends how much time you want to waste phoning around when you arrive here, and people are still holidaying towards the end of Septemeber (although less than earlier in the season as kids have gone back to school). Use the net, and I'm sure you can then book as you know what you're going along. Assuming you're looking at B&B.

Also, your first stop in Oxford approaches the new term date of the Uni students (around 11 October) - local accommodation could be quite busy - people visiting to view accommodation/settle their kids in).

BTW, events in Stratford September

www.visitstratforduponavon.co.uk/whatson.php…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

Thank you for your replies!!! I appreciate the input and welcome more opinions! ;)

Oxford
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

You might also want to consider that parking is not always available with many accomodations in the places you are visiting, it's up to you but parking in Oxford for example in public carparks is upwards of £25 for the day. You may be best to prebook and be sure that they have parking.

Oxford
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

ps have a great trip! Sounds like a great itinerary.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

Hi

Accommodation in Bath will still have high occupancy in September, so it might be best to book that day(s). Another possible spanner in the works might be that many places have a policy of minimum 2-night stays at weekends.

If sorting out somewhere to stay in Bath gets tricky, then Bristol is just 13 miles up the road and has plenty of hotels for most budgets.

I'm not sure what your guidebook recommends on the way to Bath from Devon/Cornwall, but we usually head across the Somerset Levels via Glastonbury and Wells (both towns are worth a quick look).

Post on the Bath forum if you need any local help/route-planning as we don't always think to check the England forum.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

Hi, my guide book does in fact have us seeing glastonbury and wells. :)

Thank you all for replying. I think I will try to pre-book part of this trip as per your direction.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

Personally I'd book Bath (will still be very busy, there are lots of rubbish places so you want your first choice) and London (lots of rubbish places again and it's too big to be chasing around the place looking for accommodation). *Possibly* Oxford for similar reasons. Everywhere else I'd wing it, and maintain flexibility. The end of September isn't a very busy time

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

PS If you only want one night in Bath, make sure it's midweek. Most (if not all) Bath hotels want a minimum 2 night stay if you want Friday or Saturday

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it necessary to pre-book accommodations in Sept?

I think I will do exactly this! Thanks for taking your time to reply!!