We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

Toronto
Level Contributor
212 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

My boyfriend and I are going to be spending 11 weeks in Europe and we want to make sure we leave as much room as possible to see as much as we can. We've already been to London but we want to go back for a few days.

We were thinking of flying into London then taking a bus to Bath, then renting a car and drive up along whales then Scotland and eventually end in Edinburgh then maybe fly/train out of there? BUT I really want to go to Cambridge.

I was thinking to maybe spend 2 days in London then take a train to cambridge and then drive to Bath from there. Then continue to Clardiff -> Cotswold-> Stratford Avon-> Manchester-> Liverpool> Lakes -> Glasgow -> Isle of Sky -> Edinburgh and leave from there.

Please can someone tell me if this is logical or is there a better of way to go about this?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,955 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

List the places you want to visit, then check a google map of the UK and then plan an itinerary. Road routeplanner www.theraa.com

Rail information www.nationalrail.co.uk

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

Hi

Why not visit Camridge as a day-trip from London if you really want to go there?

How many weeks are you allocating for this UK leg? I don't want to be dismissive of your "really want to go to Cambridge" bit, but do you just want to go there to see a few old colleges and a bit of punting? You would get a similar experience in Oxford (which isn't too far from Stratford or the Cotswolds).

There would be a mini riot in our house if my husband said "let's drive up to Skye". It's a very long way (though a lovely destination) and the journey is very different to driving in North America where you can just put the car on cruise control (and gas isn't cheap here, either)

As Nuricopta suggested, plug the destinations into a route-planner (i prefer ViaMichelin - the thick green lines on the maps show you the pretty routes) and pay attention to the TIME quoted to drive.

If you aren't a fan of flying, perhaps consider overnight sleeper trains up and down to Scotland (saves paying for a B&B too). That gives you more time sightseeing (rather than sitting in a traffic jam).

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

Cambridge would work best as a day trip from London, its only 45 mins from Kings Cross and is well worth a day, but it is not a good place to drive from as it is off the beaten track.

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

"off the beaten track"? Well Cambridge is on the motorway network and you could reach Bath either by going south down the M11 then taking the M25 round to the M4 and then go to Bath. But I would agree that it would be better to visit for a day from London.

A few "old colleges" by a river is attractive to millions of tourists!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

Oh gosh, sorry, I didn't mean to be rude about Cambridge; it's a lovely place.

I just think that the average tourist could probably get a similar experience visiting Oxford which is a lot closer to the Cotswolds and Stratford.

Your fair city is a least a 3 hour motorway journey away from Bath (assuming the M25 and M4 cooperate)!

Toronto
Level Contributor
212 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

Thanks guys, your posts are really helpful. I think a day trip from Cambridge would probably be the best as you all suggested.

7. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 10:05
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,095 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

Here are some images from Cambridge for you:

http://tinyurl.com/yhsjl99

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

You start by saying that you will be flying into London. If you can fly to London Stansted it is close to Cambridge. So you could start the UK part of your trip there and avoid central London.

10. Re: London to Cambridge to bath? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2010, 06:20