We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

California
Level Contributor
38 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

We are staying at several B&B's that don't accept credit cards only cash or traveler's checks. What is the best route?

We don't really want to carry large sums of cash the entire trip, and we don't want to got to the ATM's and pay the withdrawal fees each time, so it seems like a traveler's check is the best option..?

Does this also mean that we will have to pay whatever dollar to pound exchange rate that the hotel picks? We had a problem with this last time, but if we had them charge it in pounds with our credit card, then our bank gave us the best exchange rate (where the hotels chose the highest exchange rate), but this time I don't know if we are just stuck.

Anyone know how this works or have any advice?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

I would have thought that very few small B&Bs would want to mess around with dollar travellers cheques as their bank will charge them a good markup to pay them in to their account.

As you can't write UK cheques then the only real option will be cash.

This problem may well slowly vanish in the next few years as UK banks have decided to abolish personal cheques - so it will either be cash, card or some sort of bank transfer - or perhaps Paypal!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,782 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

Check with your bank for a debit card, to draw cash from ATM's against your bank account.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

The cost of a travellers cheque is likely to be on a par with an ATM.

A small B&B would expect a £ sterling TC if it accepted them at all.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

You could try explaining to them that you love quaint, but it is the 21st century and they *are* in the tourism industry....and that you can't really recommend them to friends because of their quaint attitude to money...

Paypal is their / your friend. Or a discount for cash, as it's saving them money!

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

UK ATMs operated by any of the major financial institutions do not charge withdrawal fees so any fees charged will be only those levied by your own financial institution/card issuer.

Bear in mind - the exchange rates given on such transactions are invariably substantially better than thoe offered when exchanging travellers cheques or currency, so you can "afford" some level of fee and still be ahead.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

A little harsh, Peterscot... Many small businesses can't afford the swingeing costs the credit card companies levy - and that includes my local hairdresser's btw - and he's not cheap! Cash only with him.

It would be interesting to know, though, how Paypal charges compare to credit card companies. Paypal's something like 3.5% plus 20p per transaction, I believe.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,079 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

Using a debit card in an ATM is the cheapest way of getting pounds. Yes, there is a withdrawal fee, but the exchange rate is much better than changing cash or using travellers' cheques, so you work out ahead.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

OK Let me clarify again re "yes, there is a withdrawal fee". The UK banks will NOT levy any withdrawal fee. Your own bank might, however...... But, yes, it is still the cheapest way to get pounds from dollars.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

Uh, just to clarify the clarification ....

I thought ATM machines COULD charge if they wanted to (well, the people that own them) - and I think it's the places eg shops, pubs etc who have installed them where you're more likely to be charged maybe £1.50 per transaction, than say ATMs at banks or post offices.

Ah, here you go...

http://www.ukpayments.org.uk/resources_publications/faqs/cash_machines_(atms)/

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying at B&B's that don't allow credit cards

HiGiliganuk -

Yes, a little harsh. I know the card firms don't like it, but a business could find a way of offering a preferred payment method. Card = £60, cash = £55.

Or is this illegal?