We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to go for a romantic weekend in southwest England?

Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Places to go for a romantic weekend in southwest England?

Greetings all!

I am looking to do something fun with my girlfriend this weekend. We would like to go to the southwest of England (i.e. Devon, Cornwall). Where do you recommend we go? We don't have a car so ideally somewhere where we have access to a beach, restaurants, lodging or buses to and from our hotel (or inn). Is Torquay nice? Is there anywhere "better"? We are twenty-three.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,295 Reviews
from US$126.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
475 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,091 Reviews
from US$134.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 Reviews
from US$333.40*
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to go for a romantic weekend in southwest England?

Hi Ryan

Nothing wrong with Torquay but I'd rather head for somewhere like St Ives in Cornwall. It has a lovely atmosphere, lots of small, narrow streets, cafes, bars, restaurants, galleries and shops plus of course it's pretty harbour and great, sandy beach. It's easy to reach by train - you take the main line Paddington-Penzance down to St Erth, alight there, then catch the branch line service to St Ives, one of the prettiest lengths of track in Britain.

Needless to say, St Ives is way smaller than many places but it does have it's own distinct atmosphere and I for one wouldn't hesitate to spend a couple of days there..

2. Re: Places to go for a romantic weekend in southwest England?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 06:24