We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

We are sending our kid to attend school at around Brighton and plan to fly back Canada from Glasgow. We can leave early in the morning on Sep. 7th and there will be three of us taking turn driving. According to Google map direction, it takes approximately eight hours so it seems doable but I am still worry!? Please advise. Many thanks!

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

Is it realistic? Sure. It can be done.

BUT! It won't take eight hours. That's a time that assumes no traffic problems and no rest breaks. You'll might want to take two or three breaks adding up to at least an hour (probably more) but having multiple drivers might ease that a bit. You should also allow some time for traffic jams ... especially if you are passing through a major urban area during rush hour. (M25, M6 Birmingham, M6 Manchester, M6 Thelwall Viaduct, Outskirts of Glasgow, etc, etc)

If it was me (on my own), I'd be allowing at least 10 hours to make this journey if I didn't have anything as important as a flight to catch. If you are driving to make a flight you should consider the potential implications of a three hour traffic jam on the motorway and plan accordingly.

Edited: 22 August 2010, 20:08
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

What chimp says.

Driving from London to catch a ferry in Scotland, I missed it by 30 minutes after a 10hour journey, as the M6 motorway was closed.

Not an everyday occurrence, but it does it happen, as does congestion.

It's not a route I would want to do to catch a plane.

Drive to Gatwick and catch a plane to Glasgow. Any one-way drop-off fees would be balanced by not buying petrol for 500 miles.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

The thought of driving from Brighton to Glasgow would fill me with dread. Do like Peterscot suggests, leave the car at Gatwick and fly to Glasgow

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

I must admit I would do it without a second thought. OK it will take the best part of the day, so what? You say you will take turns in driving all the better. If I was doing it I would use the A1 to the A66 then the M74 to Glasgow.

Year ago I had to drive to Glasgow from Hull every week for 4 months a trip of 261 miles and then do a full days work when I got there. The driving time was between 41/2 hours and 8 hours. So yes nobody can tell you how long it will take but I would say 10 hours is very doable on a good day.

ian480.

PS If it is on the same day as you fly back home, make sure you leave plenty of time just in case you run into trouble on the way up.

Edited: 22 August 2010, 20:47
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

Its a long haul in one go, but is of course doo-able, estimate 10-12hrs with stops and traffic and you'll be fine. My longest single drive was Brighton-Newcastle and managed to do that in 5.5hrs with one stop. Tip is to hit the road very very early like 4-5am so you get past the M25 and M6 Birmingham b4 the rush - rather you than me tho! ~ i'd fly.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

The point is not whether it is doable - of course it is. But what is the risk of doing it?

What are the consequences if you are delayed and miss your flight (which you don't say when it is).

If its on Sept 7th, and you miss it, what is the cost of 3 last-minute seats on a plane on the 8th? £1,000?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,547 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

I wouldn't want to do that drive but if I had to, I'd plan it for the day before my flight home just in case I ran into any holdups.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

Thank you all! As long as it is doo-able, I will go for it. Thanks for the tips, we will leave early and take the suggested route. Ever since we planed the trip, TA has been my best resource for help.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

We've done that drive a few times, and would give the same warnings as everyone else.

We always started at around 5.00, stopping after Birmingham for breakfast, and never had traffic problems. But there's always the chance of a hold up from an accident, and we never had a plane to catch, just dinner waiting!

Good luck!

Edited: 23 August 2010, 10:47
10. Re: Is it realistic to drive from Brighton to Glasgow in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 06:23