We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel choices in Northern England

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
396 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Travel choices in Northern England

I was reading some older posts from last summer regarding visitors trying to cram 6 areas into a 4 day visit to England. I think most US visitors see the small distances from one major city to another, so assume it's a piece of cake. Never thinking that every exit/town would be a great place to stop!

That being said, my friends and I are trying to explore Northern England in 5 days :) We are going to take a train from London to York, then rent a car and drive through the Moors to the coast, across to the Lake District, stop in Liverpool for 1/2 day (Beatles tour of course), then a train back to London.

Does this sound halfway sensible? What are the must-sees and must-dos for the Moors and the Lake District?

Thanks to any information - have always found this site to be of great value!

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
396 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel choices in Northern England

Sorry, just read the post about someone spending one night in Paris, flying to London and asking if one day was doable for Scotland --

Keep telling yourself, you will come back, and focus on one area! This will be our fifth visit to England over 10 years, and there is always something new to see!

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel choices in Northern England

So ... arrive in York day one say about lunch time. PM in York.

Day Two - AM rent car and head to coast. Stay in ? Whitby?

Day Three - AM Head to Lake District (via the dales?) Stay in? Ambleside? Windermere? Keswick?

Day Four - Lake District. (stay where? The Lakes or head nearer to Liverpool?)

Day Five - AM arrive Liverpool. PM train back to London. Late PM in London.

That looks doable to me.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel choices in Northern England

Doable but missing a lot of great places. So glad you are coming North but you would still be missing out on Durham and Hadrians Wall - and Chester if you are in the Liverpool area.

As you have already been advised probably much better to take things easier and come back again for a second visit!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel choices in Northern England

'You'll be meeting yourself coming backwards' - as my Grandmother used to say.

I can't comment on must sees in any area until I know what your interests are. There's so much to see in the areas you are planning to drive through.

When you get to York you are heading east to the coast, then the next day going west to the Lakes. What is it about the Moors and the coast that have made you plan it in?

It would make more practical sense for instance to go to York, then head west straight away to the Lakes but driving through the Dales as opposed to the Moors. Would save a lot of miles.

If I knew more about the thinking behind your plan it would help.

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
396 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel choices in Northern England

I imagine we're heading to the coast/moors and Lake District because we live near the beach in Florida, and enjoy any type of waterway. We had also looked at Durham, and since the other couple coming with us has been to York, we are considering just a day for York and spending the night in Durham.

Two of us are interested in history, another interests lie in almost anything, and the fourth enjoys a good beer and perhaps a football game. So the trip usually is determined by the first two :)

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
396 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel choices in Northern England

As it turns out, we are driving from York to Durham, then west to Hadrian's Wall and the Lake District, then to Liverpool for a train back to London.

I realize now we will probably miss most of the Dales. Is there a good route from York to Durham, that would be preferable to driving through the Moors to Whidby on the coast?

And what is a good route from Hexham to Keswick?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel choices in Northern England

The usual direct route from York to Durham is the A1. If you want to make a detour to see the Dales you could perhaps go to Aysgarth or Hawes in Wensleydale then rejoin the A1 Those of you who enjoy a beer might be interested in Masham with its 2 breweries.

From Hexham to Keswick the easy route is along the A69 to Carlisle and M6 to Penrith to join the A66 to Keswick. It's basically flat. A more scenic route is to go via Alston, which is the highest market town in England, then over Hartside Pass. It reaches 1900 feet above sea level so there are great views from the top. There are hairpin bends along the route so it's popular with bikers and there's a cafe at the summit. Follow the road on to Penrith and join the A66 there. There are lovely views of the Lakeland fells as you approach Keswick.

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
396 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel choices in Northern England

That alternate route to Keswick sounds exactly what we would like to see - thank you!

We'll have to rethink our journey from York to Durham.

9. Re: Travel choices in Northern England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 21:17