We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any advice on first trip to england

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
any advice on first trip to england

MY husband and I are visiting England for the first time in September. We know we will not be able to fit everything in in one trip but we hope to return another time. Will arrive at Heathrow on the 13th, rent a car, drive to Bath. Stay the night. Go through the Cotswolds for two nights.Go to Liverpool for the weekend. (Both big time Beatles fans). Drive to London Sunday night the 18th. Turn in car at airport and stay in London until 22nd. Thinking about stopping at Windsor to visit castle on our way to Bath to save on a fare from London. Should we do that or take a day trip to Windsor from London. Can we see Bath in an afternoon and maybe early morning?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any advice on first trip to england

Check for returning the car nearer into London.

Car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk Route planner www.theaa.com

Accommodation www.wotif.com www.bedandbreakfastnationwide.com

Have a quick look at Windsor on your way to Bath, and next day leave after lunch from Bath for the Cotswolds.

www.harddaysnighthotel.com

Edited: 14 April 2011, 04:26
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any advice on first trip to england

I would say you'd need a full day at Bath if you want to explore all the Roman Baths and browse the local shops and windy streets of the Ancient town. I think you should go to Windsor Castle ( If you can cram it into your timetable!) but whatever you do, have a great time!

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any advice on first trip to england

I would do Windsor as a day trip from London - it will save you having to find a parking place in Windsor and won't make day 1 quite so rushed.

Don't try taking a car any further into London than Heathrow - the traffic is a nightmare !

London, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any advice on first trip to england

I would suggest not spending the whole weekend in Liverpool - maybe just a day? Then maybe head to York for the rest of the weekend. It's very beautiful and very 'English'!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any advice on first trip to england

Did you particularly want to drive down to Bath and are you arriving on a red-eye? Have you driven on the "wrong side" of the road before?

I can't help thinking that it would be better to use public transport to get down to Bath (it's a very small city and all the tourist attractions are within an easy walk of each other). The train and bus station are very central (pop onto the Bath forum for more details). Gas is about £1.35/litre down here at the moment (so that is about $8.30 for one of your gallons).

Of course if you were hoping to see Avebury and/or Lacock and/or Stonehenge etc., then your plan makes perfect sense (but please drive carefully if you aren't used to our busy/narrow roads).

f it isn't raining it is actually quite nice to just wander around Bath in the evening (the stone buildings look lovely at sunrise and sunset). There are a couple of walking tours you could download onto an MP3 player at www.visitbath.co.uk if you wanted to explore at your own pace. There always seem to be plenty of people wandering around Bath (as there are still plenty of houses in the city centre) so it is safe to explore after dark (though obviously exercise some common sense and keep to lit streets rather than parks and riverbanks since you don't know the area).

It's a personal thing, but if you only have a few days, I think I would just spend a day looking round the Cotswolds and then I would spend a day getting up to Liverpool with plenty of stops en route.

When we travel "up north" we tend to avoid the M5 and travel up the Welsh border/A49. The villages are very different to the Cotswolds (and less full of coach parties). Try googling Ross on Wye, Leominster and Ludlow to get an idea.

I hope this helps (and you'll just have to start planning a return visit whilst you are here!).

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any advice on first trip to england

Hi Crewbuck, I agree with NJ26, York is lovely and the Beatle trip to Liverpool can be covered in a day/night. As Nurioopya suggested check out the Hard Days Night hotel which as you may have guessed is the Beatle theme hotel, pricey but gorgeous and the Liverpool night life is great no matter what you are looking to do.. Its right by the cavern club and only a 5/10 minute walk to Albert Dock where you wll find the Beatle museum and take the magical mystery bus tour to Penny lane & strawberry fields. have a great time.

7. Re: any advice on first trip to england

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 06:16