We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

hi

We are staying with friends in Harrogate in August and then plan to get the ferry from Liverpool to the Isle of Man. We will be driving and were wondering whether there are any hidden gems of places to stop for a day/overnight. If you draw a line between Harrogate and Liverpool it seems to epitomise a bleak urban industrial landscape but I am sure there must be more than that. We are two adults and a 9 year old son and we tend to like somewhere with a bit of rusticity about it, history (light!), countryside, wildlife (we will have done the theme park thing before going to Harrogate so hopefully son will be satisfied - famous last thoughts!).

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

Presumably you don't want suggestions around the Dales or York. That being so my choice would be somewhere like the west side of the Lake District or the area facing onto Morecambe Bay.

If you did that you could travel from Heysham rather than Liverpool

Edited: 15 June 2011, 19:22
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

Alanrow

Thanks. I thought about York. We've been there several times and love the place but our littl un hasn't been and we would happily go again - it's just the thought of doing so in August when I assume it will be heaving. The same goes for the Lake District really. I'll check out the Morecambe Bay area though. Thanks.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

Alanrow This looks like a find. Just did a quick check based on your suggestion and this area seems definitely worth exploring! I remember seeing a documentary about the Midland Hotel restoration on TV some time back, and the idea of the Lune Valley and Lancaster is appealing.

http://www.citycoastcountryside.co.uk/

Essex
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

Holmfirth?? - home of Last of the Summer Wine

Keighley?? - take the railway up to Haworth and look at 'Bronte Country'

Halifax?? - visit the amazing Piece Hall

Salford?? - visit the Lowry Centre

Manchester? - tons to see there

Liverpool?? - lots to see there too!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,223 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

You could go on a tour of towns and villages with stupid names in Lancashire and West Yorkshire like:

Lumbutts, Mankinholes, Bottoms, Water, Ramsbottom, Dimple, Shelf, Doffcocker.

The 9 year old will like having his photo taken next to the funny place name signs!

Or just drive across Ilkley Moor to Keighley and go on the Keighley & Worth Valley steam railway.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

Thanks Matt and Essex Wanderer, will check out Keighley (we have been to Holmfirth many years ago). I like the idea of the funny sounding place names!

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

How about skipton? I live in Harrogate but hail from Liverpool so regularly do that journey (A59, A56, M65, M6, M58 is the best route) and although the motorway bit is boring there is nothing bleak about the rest. Skipton has a market Mon/Weds/Fri/Sat, a castle, canal boat rides and some nice shops and walks, there is also the embsay steam railway nearby or even a stop at Bolton Abbey.

http://www.skiptononline.co.uk/

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/

http://www.boltonabbey.com/

or at Colne there is a huge Boundary Mill store if you like shopping !!

hot springs ar
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

try the hark to the bounty inn. it is in clitheroe in between harrogate and liverpool. it is a small country inn with a restaurant and i really enjoyed it. the location is beautiful and the food good. it is rather out of the way so if you book you will have to ask for directions. hope you enjoy it.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

Not exactly on a straight line between Harrogate and Liverpool, but well worth the detour is The Forbidden Corner. Absolutely superb place and your son is the perfect age to enjoy it too. I don't think the website does it justice but there are plenty of Tripadvisor reviews, generally highly favourable..

www.theforbiddencorner.co.uk

I'd be reluctant to callit a 'theme park' - in fact I'm not sure how to describe it at all as I've never been anywhere remotely like it before.

You have to book tickets in advance, you can't just turn up.

It also has the advantage of being situated in some of the most beautiful Dales countryside with plenty of other places to vist close by if you stayed overnight - for example Middleham Castle and Jervaulx Abbey.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 07:12
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somewhere to stop between Harrogate and Liverpool

Many thanks all.

Actually what we decided to do is change our route so that we will travel to the Isle of Man from Heysham and return to Liverpool. We are going to give the Midland Hotel in Morecambe a go. I notice it has had a few mixed reviews but I am dying to try it, and the area around Morecambe looks interesting to explore (if not Morecambe itself!). We will have 3 days (4 mights) in Harrogate, so that should give us a good chance to explore the area widely and I will definitely look into the places you have mentioned. The Forbidden Corner looks absolutely intriguing and I will look into that definitely - I notice you need to book in advance.

In terms of