We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Wind Farms

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Avoiding Wind Farms

Last time I went to the east of England the hotel turned out to be practically surrounded by wind farms. I exagerate slightly but it spoilt the experience.

Is there a web site where can I find out where wind farms are located so I can avoid the area?

Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding Wind Farms

That would be pretty unusual, there arent that many, better to do it the other way, look where your prospective hotel is situated and then google "location name wind farm" and see if you get any hits.

And of course ask in the forum for the area you are looking at. Don't make it too wide an area though, no point picking a whole county, unless its to ask "are there any windfarms near the XXX hotel in YYY village/city/town"

Edited: 24 June 2011, 09:42
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,799 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding Wind Farms

You can also use Google Streetview to see if Windfarms are near the hotel - I'm just surprised by the thought though of a hotel surrounded by turbines as most of the windfarms I pass aren't anywhere near habitation

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding Wind Farms

Do you prefer coal or nuclear power stations?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,989 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding Wind Farms

That's really unfortunate as we have so few. Thought we had put them all in Scotland.

Come to the West Country instead. We manage the occasional single one on the moors but you really have to search for it.

Level Contributor
29,513 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding Wind Farms

What's wrong with windfarms??

At least they are 'eco friendly'!

There is one large one off the coast at Clacton, but the windmills are way out in the sea, hardly 'surrounding' Hotels (unless they creep inland under the cover of dark, that is!!)

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding Wind Farms

Never underestimate wikipedia

7. Re: Avoiding Wind Farms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 03:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now