We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

We will be in London for a week with a tour connected with Olympic activities for the first week of August 2012. My husband and I are staying on the next week and planning on renting a car and flying home from Edinburg. There is so much to see and do I need some advise! Tentative plans to spend 2 days in Cotswolds then 2 days in Yorkshire then up to Scotland. We like history and nature so definitely want to see some castles and take some of the wonderful walks described. After being in the city with a large group we will be anxious to get off the beaten path. We want to stay in B&B's and prefer small, out of the way restaurants and activities. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 December 2011, 17:35
2. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

3. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,007 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

There are a few things to note -

7 days isn't a lot of time to spend in 3 separate areas of the UK especially when you have half day drives between them.

August in Edinburgh (note spelling) means Festivals (note plural) with sky high prices and LOTS of people - if you aren't into 8 shows a day then it's a bad place to go. It's certainly "not off the beaten path".

Edinburgh in August generally means minimum number of night's stay

Cars and Edinburgh do not go together - dump the car as soon as you arrive.

http://www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk/

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Festival_Fringe

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

Thank you. And I thought that spelling looked wrong!

Sounds like maybe 2 parts of England and then a drive up for our flight on the last day ... staying out of the city...

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

If you have somewhere to stay in/near Edinburgh in August it seems a shame to miss out on the city. It's got an amazing buzz at Festival time.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,921 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

Leave the car in York, and take a pleasant train from city-centre to city-centre.

Arriving in Edinburgh by train is a thrill. Medieval city and castle on the one side, and superb Georgian New Town on the other.

Perhaps 2 nights in the Cotswolds, drive to Yorkshire and explore the North York Moors or Dales, and York itself, then move on to Edinburgh.

Or, if Edinburgh is not for you, there are plenty of "off the beaten path" places in Northumberland and the Scottish Borders, especially around the Abbeys there or places associated with Sir Walter Scott. But all a shortish drive to Edinburgh airport.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

I would say two days apiece in the Cotswolds and Yorkshire isn't much... I think if I were you I would get the train from London to York then hire the car and see Yorkshire for four days and then go on by train to Scotland (as peterscot says, the train journey is pleasant). Or, alternatively see the Cotswolds then train up to Scotland.

In Yorkshire I would recommend a day in York itself seeing the Minster, Shambles, city walls and other historical sights, then perhaps a day at Castle Howard (the walking tours of the gardens are excellent) maybe taking in nearby Nunnington Hall if you have time, too. You could B&B in Slingsby, which is a lovely village just on the edge of Castle Howard's grounds.

You could then head up over the moor to Goathland and walk around this pretty village before heading on to the coast at Whitby; see the ruined Abbey and walk the coast down to Robin Hood's Bay or Boggle Hole.

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

Great information so thank you all. Definitely will check out the train for the last leg as that does sound great. So torn between Cotswolds and Yorkshire (being a James Herriot fan) so will have to do more research to make up our minds.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cotswolds, Yorkshire, Edinburg

Is your flight home from Edinburgh set or is that still tentative?

Seems a long way to go given the time just to catch a flight, since you don't seem to have enough time to see the city.

Could you fly back from, say, Manchester?