We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machine limits, other money ?s

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
ATM machine limits, other money ?s

Our family of 4 will be traveling to England for the first time in May. Sorry if some of these ?s. may seem silly but I never use ATM machines here in the U.S. and many of the bed and breakfasts I've been researching only take cash.

As soon as we fly into Heathrow I'm going to need to get cash, both for parking fees (I'm assuming I'll need to find a way to then exchange bills for small coins) as well as lodging. I'm wondering what the daily cash limit is for ATM machines to avoid excess fees (can you double the limit if you go to 2 different machines in one day?)

What is the usual transaction fee? I could request a debit card from my local credit union or from Capitol One where I have a credit card (to avoid overseas conversion fees) as well as a savings account. Would one be preferable/cheaper than another?

Since I have over $30,000 in my Capitol One account, would all that money be at risk if my debit card were stolen?

Will most places (our first stop is Hampton Court Palace) besides parking facilities and bed and breakfasts take credit cards?

Should I make my 2 children (both young adults) worry about obtaining/carrying their own cash and passports or should my husband and I just split everything up and carry it in our own moneybelts?

Is there any benefit to be carrying money in U.S. dollars? If so, how much?

Thanks for your advice.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,519 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: ATM machine limits, other money ?s

For better or worse, the OP's plans, last I checked were to land at LHR, rent a car, see HCP, drive on to Salisbury, stay the night, and then travel from there to a great number of places including Wales, the Cotswolds and York.

Don't think a car service would cover it, actually.

There is luggage storage in HCP.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: ATM machine limits, other money ?s

I really don't think there are that many thefts from cars at HCP....

It has a busy, manned car park with CCTV, barriers, etc, etc.

You can probably by for car parks by sending a text with your CC details from a mobile phone, rather than scrabble for change.

13. Re: ATM machine limits, other money ?s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:19