We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route--Blenheim Palace to Newcastle-under -Lyme

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic route--Blenheim Palace to Newcastle-under -Lyme

Google maps is showing 3 different options between Blenheim Palace and Newcastle-under-Lyme and I'm wondering which one would be the most scenic and/or least congested on a Saturday, late afternoon:

M40 and M6, 119 mi, 2 hours 3 min

M6, 113 mi, 2 hours 6 mins

A44 and M6, 114 mi, 2 hours 12 mins

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic route--Blenheim Palace to Newcastle-under -Lyme

Unfortunately those descriptions are a bit vague and I am not certain what the second route you list actually is. as the M6 does not go close to Blenheim. However, the most scenic would be A44 (through the Cotswolds) to the M5 then head north onto the M6, but this would take much longer than going motorway all the way (at least 2.5 hours).

For speed, I would head to the M40, then do either...

M40 - M42 West - M5 - M6

M40 - M42 north - M6

M40 - M42 north - M6 toll road - M6

On a Saturday afternoon I doubt that there would be much in it, congestion wise, but others may know better.

P-t-B

Edited: 17 January 2012, 00:01
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic route--Blenheim Palace to Newcastle-under -Lyme

I agree with Phil. The most scenic route (at least in it's early stages) is A44, M5 then M6.

Nice drive through the Cotswolds via Moreton-in-Marsh, Bourton on the Hill and Broadway. If you can do a quick detour to Broadway Tower for the views, then all the better.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic route--Blenheim Palace to Newcastle-under -Lyme

Oh please,

Google uses USN obsolescent satellite maps.

Just ask for a good route from point to point.

Phil is clearly a "routemaster".

Saturday on the M (motorway) freeway routes is also when people shop to visit city/town marts. Poor compared with the USA malls.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most scenic route--Blenheim Palace to Newcastle-under -Lyme

www.viamichelin.com allows you to select scenic routes.

But, to be blunt, that part of the world, The Midlands, is not renowned for its scenery. Yes, there are exceptions, but it will mainly be dairy pastures at the side of the road.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,021 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most scenic route--Blenheim Palace to Newcastle-under -Lyme

And don't trust the times.

Even via michelin's are optimistic.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Most scenic route--Blenheim Palace to Newcastle-under -Lyme

IMHO, the A44/M5/M6 means you drive up the M5/M6 to the west of Birmingham, and that's pretty naff.

For pretty, I'd go A44 to Moreton, then A429 (Fosse Way) to the junction with the A3400, then follow it, skirting Stratford, to J16 of the M40. Turn onto the M42 north, turning into the M6 Toll, then the M6 to NUL. I think we'd all agree from then on, there's no scenic route, whatever you do. To be honest, though, the semidirect route (A 4095 just SE of the Palace, A 4260 North, right onto the B4030 through Lower Heyford then left onto the B430 as far as J10 of the M40, the M42, M6 toll and M6) is almost as pretty and a great deal faster. By English motorway standards, the M40's really rather nice most of the time

Congestion somewhere on the M6 (but not the M6 Toll) is virtually inevitable from 0600 to 2100 seven days a week: the only uncertainty is where you'll hit it and how long you'll be stuck. Unless there are signs indicating it's awful, any attempt to avoid it is probably going to be worse. But if it really does look awful, the diversion at J12 onto the A5, then north on the A41, bear right onto the A529 then right onto the A525 at Audlem is sort of getting on for pretty and generally smooth running

7. Re: Most scenic route--Blenheim Palace to Newcastle-under -Lyme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:17