We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramble around England

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Ramble around England

I just retired here in Miami and have an appetite for an England "fix". Last March I had two weeks in London and now I'd like to ramble, on my own, around England proper for at least a month and get into the little nooks. Does anyone have any ideas or links to reccommend for the leisurely traveller on how best to organize this?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,362 Reviews
from US$130.70*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,130 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$117.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$348.00*
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramble around England

Nice idea. Try this for starters : news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6481109.stm

The only problem with secret places is that if you post them on the internet, they stop being secret ! Anyway, you have a message...

Mike

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramble around England

Lucky you; a whole month!...But when?

By "ramble" do you mean that you fancy spending a month doing a series of walks (probably 2-3 hours/day with a hearty pub meal to compensate)?

Do you want to see a few towns/cities too?

Did you consider (and reject) Northern Ireland/Wales/Scotland?

Would you fancy experiencing (small) Island life (e.g Scilly Isles/Scottish Islands/Holy Island etc etc)?

Will you have a car or are you reliant on public transport (not a disaster, but a bit harder)

Were you thinking of going on guided walks or using services that provide you with a route and transport your luggage from one lodging to another?

Do you know how to read a map/use a compass (or do you want simpler walking with clearly marked paths)?

How are you with hills? Do you own a pair of walking boots (or are you planning something less strenuous)?

Do you have any particular interests (be it historical sights/bird watching...)

Can you live out of a suitcase for a month or would you prefer to have 4-8 bases and explore from those?

I realise I've given you no advice yet......but this is such a broad question

Edited: 17 January 2012, 19:18
Mentioned in this post
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramble around England

Hello,

You should read this book first. Wherever you might find it.

It is still relevant.

amazon.co.uk/Journey-Through-Britain-Travel-…

Regards

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramble around England

Greetings Suedunk,

You pose some great questions. I've long been a walker of those very same "two to three hours a day" with a pleasant repast at the end. I am best on paved or stable pathways. If I go with the buses I'll be on a "package" and if I rent a car I'll be lonesome. Those packages always seemed so premeditated and perfunctory. How about a rail journey?

Northern Ireland Wales and Scotland would be wonderful but I don't want to spread myself too thin and be always on the move. I thought that by limiting myself I'd be able to achieve that leisurely pace. I have been to Ireland, Wales and Scotland albeit in the distant past.

The island of Scilly is down along the southwest coast I believe, and wouldn't it be loverly? I"ve heard that there are many interesting spots down there.

I can live very nicely out of a carry on for whole month without batting an eyelash.Guided walks will give me a chance to chat up folks and make friends, so yep. Your history has always been fascinating and visiting other great cities is appealing. I'm fond of cities and small towns alike. Staying in B&B's is no problemo.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 23:50
Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramble around England

Hodderhobbit,

This volume seems just the ticket for a nice pre-journey read. I'll want to purchase it here in the States and have properly mulled and digested its contents before travelling. I'll hop over to Amazon U.S. and see if it is available.

Cheers,

Geoff

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramble around England

Suedunk,

"A whole month. But when?" When the days are long. I was a month in Ireland in November and it was dark very early. I just curled up.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 23:59
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramble around England

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for a reply which is always welcome.

The Hillaby book(s) inspired thousands like me and he was a wonderful writer.

No-one could repeat his walks without imagination.

We hope you enjoy the planning as much as the execution of your visit.

Regards

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramble around England

You mention guided walks - would you consider a walking holiday for part of the time? There are many organisations who operate these - both based at one place with walks from there or ones that move on - both would give you a group to be with. If that would interest you a search on walking holidays + England would give you some operators - Ramblers & HF are two long-established in the field; there are many others.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,248 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ramble around England

I often see Liverpool Ramblers advertising their walks.

Check out their website:

http://www.liverpoolramblers.co.uk/index.php

And you might find this useful:

ramblersholidays.co.uk/page/uk-walking-holid…

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ramble around England

Try

ramblers.org.uk/areas_groups/groupswalksfind…

which tells you of walks all over Britain that you could join if you wanted. The Ramblers Association website generally is a very good place to start.

Also, if you fancy fairly easy walks try google uk and search for Walks with children, pub walks, waterways walks and anything else that occurs to you. Almost certainly you will get lots of suggestions. Once here any National Trust or Outdoor clothing shop will stock a range a reasonably priced books of walks in the local area.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 11:34