We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
849 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

It's been a while (almost 10 years) since DH and I have driven around England. When we did so, we would book a room in a guest house or B&B in the next town we would be visiting by going to the tourist office of the town we were in; they would then book us a place in the next town.

My question is: Is this still a viable way to travel, given that we will be traveling in the first two weeks of May and with another couple, so would need two rooms? We will, of course, book in advance for our first night there and for our time in London.

Thanks for any advice.

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

Yes, I think it's still a viable option in May - although it probably depends on where you will be travelling. Remember there's a Bank Holiday the first Monday in May so that weekend will be busy.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

Yep, first week may be a little busy, but as long as you have a car and are happy to take pot luck, should be OK.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,627 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

I would not rely on the tourist offices: sadly many of these have been closed as more and more people are going to the internet for information.

With the internet it is all to easy to research and book ahead of time. As you need parking and two rooms (and likely have other requirements as well) I really don't see any advantage in not booking ahead.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

As ZebFrance has said Monday May 7th is a public holiday so that weekend is likely to be busy. Tourist information centres have been cut back in many areas - hours reduced or even closed altogether.

If you've not got a fixed itinerary and are in areas where there's a reasonable choice you could do the research on B & Bs that would suit and then call ahead as you firm up your route. If you can book ahead over the holiday weekend at least that might be safest.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

Can only reiterate the previous comments. As long as you have several options to book as this is a busy month. Very popular for people to book the rest of the Bank Holiday week for their hols and the first of our better weather & temperatures so lots of people out and about.

For that reason it is a good time for you to travel as the countryside is lovely.

If you are going anywhere around the potteries in Staffordshire check when their holidays are as they all close at once and the roads are chocka around there. Think thats June though.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
849 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

Thanks, everyone, for your answers and suggestions. They do give me pause! We will be meeting with our traveling companions tonight and discussing this issue. I'm thinking we should perhaps tighten up our itinerary and make reservations in advance, especially for the Bank Holiday weekend.

Thanks, again, and I will be returning with more questions, especially once we figure out where we will be during that weekend.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

Agree with above posts.

I'm actually in the UK at roughly the same time April 28 - May 10 and have booked one week at a very convenient cottage. Looking at options for the remaining time I was surprised that so many places were already full. Prices were also higher - naturally.

8. Re: Booking Guest Houses as We Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2013, 10:27