We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for cheapest car rental

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for cheapest car rental

I'd appreciate your advice for getting the cheapest car rental, picking up and returning to Heathrow for 13 days in May. I can't get a straight answer from anyone I've talked to on how much of a discount I'd get if I joined a company like AARP or AAA, bought an Entertainment Happenings Book, or used a certain credit card like American Express, etc. I just want to make sure the membership/book cost warrants the savings. Another major frustration I have is there's 4 adults and 4 pieces of luggage (not sure if all will be considered large) and each car rental agency has different descriptions for the luggage that will fit, often on the same car so I don't know who to believe. I'd prefer not to rent a full-size if a mid-size will work but I don't want to get stuck with not having enough room for our luggage. Thanks for your help.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

Sorry, you'll have to work it out yourself, no one here has a matrix of all the arrangement's and agreements and discounts (especially given the ever changing prices of rentals).

Same goes for car size, best you cam do is see if you can track the same model number, for example they might often say something like "mid sized equivalent to Ford Focus or similar".

Though for 4 adults and 4 suitcases and no doubt 4 bags of hand luggage and other odds and ends, I dont think you should be looking at a mid size !

Looking on the alamo website(as an example) , they are quite clear about what each car size will take, with pictures and little logos depicting number of adults, children, pieces of luggage. If you haven't looked at their UK website I'd advise you to, even if you dont rent from them it gives you an idea of the capacity of different cars.

With 4 adults on a 2 week tour I'd advise you not to be skimping on car size, you'll presumably be in it several hours a day, no doubt with all your luggage as well. I think you should be looking at an estate at a minimum, or a minivan. Bearing in mind that in an estate (station wagon) you can at least cover up the luggage in the rear compartment, whereas you usually cant in a minivan. (Though you dont want to be leaving your car unattended with all your luggage in it, let alone on view.)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,431 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

To give you an idea, a full size car here will be equivalent to a decent mid-sized in the US. Something like a Vauxhall Insignia or a Ford Mondeo should suffice, these are about the size of an Impala or a G6. An estate (station wagon) would be even better for the boot (trunk) space.

I use a comparison site like www.travelsupermarket.co.uk for seeking out deals, although I would never go for the cheapest option as everyone else will be booking that and there will be a long queue for the cars.

Fell foul of that one when we booked a car with Budget in Orlando last year. Took over an hour to get to the desk! Same in Mallorca with Easycar where we gave up after waiting 3 hours!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

Something like a Vauxhall Insignia or a Ford Mondeo should suffice

=========

DiCanio, I think you'd be more than struggling to put 4 suitcases and 4 sets of hand baggage in the boot of a Mondeo.

But having said that, perhaps the plan should be to pack lightly enough they dont have 4 suitcases in the first place. One per suitcase,and one hand baggage case per couple, would allow them to get a car with a boot (trunk) which would be much more secure for a touring holiday. And they could get a smaller car which will be cheaper..

Edited: 31 January 2012, 18:36
London
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

" I think you'd be more than struggling to put 4 suitcases and 4 sets of hand baggage in the boot of a Mondeo. "

It depends whether you're talking hard shell suitcases or soft bags. The Mondeo boot is like a tardis - I easily packed the luggage for five adults in a rental Mondeo earlier this month. But this was squashable "ski holdall" type bags, not hard shell suitcases.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

Brit cars are small. We hire a lot and invariably end up standing in the rental lot trying various combinations of luggage storage, usually ending up with a suitcase between the two passengers on the back seat. In fact, in 2010 we rented a Volvo SUV and with 4 passengers and 5 bags, plus hand bags etc - we still drove back to LGW with a large case on the back seat.

To find the best rates see if your airline has a special offer or see if there are any Codes available just by googling. Really in my not insignificant experience the good deals are tough to find. You also need to be aware that you will be charged for many other extras such as CDW and extra insurance if you don't specifically decline them. My last rental through Avis was one such - I ended up with an extra couple of hundred pounds on my bill even though I'm sure I had declined the extras due to them being covered by my excellent Credit card. Such is life and lesson learned - be more awake next time Ms Daisy.

Basically renting a car in the UK is seldom a cheap or easy experience.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

A great point by DiCanio , if you take soft sided cases you will have a lot more flexibility about fitting your luggage into a car book (trunk).

Essex
Level Contributor
28,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

Or even rcspeirs, joe??

He is also correct about the boot (trunk) of a Mondeo, has a massive capacity for the size of car it is!!

Also is a very comfortable car, which kcowley will need, considering the marathon miles and hours of drivng she is going to be doing on her trip!

Edited: 31 January 2012, 22:42
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,410 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

Check car rental rates www.auto-europe.co.uk www.auto-europe.com

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

<<Or even rcspeirs, joe??>>

Oopsy. Yes I was looking at this thread whilst doing other stuff and their avatars were vaguely similar.

10. Re: Advice for cheapest car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 10:20