We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

I recently read something on a London thread about the unrealiability of sat navs on winding country roads and now I'm worried. We'll be driving all over England and Wales from the U.S. (our first visit) in May. I got a sat nav for Christmas and am going to be purchasing and downloading maps of Great Britain. The last thing I want to do is have my DH, who's going to be doing all the driving to get lost.

Also, I'm confused if I need to buy an SD card with the maps or a DVD (would one be more updated than another?) I have a Garmin Nuvi 40LM and I'm hoping to buy maps that will let me download all the addresses of places I'm hoping to visit ahead of time using the computer keyboard but don't know if this is possible. Thanks for the advice.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Our printed maps here in the UK are the best in the world, & road signposting (even out in the sticks) is pretty good too so rather than just rely on the SatNav why not get yourself a paper touring map & study where you are going. Then if the SatNav takes you into a Black Hole at least you will have an idea of where you are. Large vehicles are forever getting stuck on unsuitable roads due to the SatNav taking them down places they never should go.

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

satnav's are brilliant, but don't put your common sense on hold ... have a look at paper maps before you set out so you know roughly where you're going ... the problems that come up are often (1) like-sounding names for instance St Ives in Cornwall or St Ives in Cambridgeshire, or Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Newcastle-under-Lyme, so if you've checked paper maps first you'll soon know if the satnav's directions don't make sense - (2) little country lanes which the satnav rates as roads - (3) when you're programming the satnav you often have the choice of the fastest route or the shortest route, and shortest

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Cazinatutu--it looks like you last sentence was cut off. Could you please repost it. Thanks.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Sat Navs are useful, but as cazintutu said in the post above, don't put your common sense ( or your brain for that matter ) on hold. The problem with like sounding, or even same named places is a very valid point

Use them sensibly, and prefererably in conjunction with a large hard copy UK road map which can often be purchased from most petrol stations for less than £5. They really are worth the money.

They clearly mark out the difference between the various road types, and also include other useful information. Ie: Service areas, places of interest, viewpoints etc. More importantly, they will give you an accurate and overall view of the road systems in the UK.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Agreed that Sat Navs are very useful and best used in conjunction with a road map. Mine has occaionally tried to take me down a field track and sometimes decides the quickest route is something of a detour. But overall I wouldn't be without mine. Particularly useful when trying to find obsure streets in town. Far better than the variable information you get by stopping and asking

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

I used my sat nav a lot when I had a job delivering cars around the country; but they are best in towns and cities where they help direct you, yet leave you able to concentrate on the busy road. You can't beat a paper map for driving in the country, plus as others have said maps also indicate places of interest.

Get a good road map from a gas station.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

As we have stopped removing road signs to fool Nazi paratroopers a good 70 years ago, you'll find excellent road signage in place. Don't blindly follow a SatNav lest it should lead you into a cemetary, a silage pit or off a cliff.

SatNav breeds laziness, read a map and observe road signs first.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

I used my sat nav a lot when I had a job delivering cars around the country; but they are best in towns and cities where they help direct you, yet leave you able to concentrate on the busy road. You can't beat a paper map for driving in the country, plus as others have said maps also indicate places of interest.

Get a good road map from a gas station.

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

sorry kcowley ... you're right, I missed off the end of the sentence

... choice of the fastest route or the shortest route, and shortest isn't always the best because they're minor roads ...

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

and by the way, as well as service stations you can get good quality cheap touring maps in most supermarkets