We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

I recently read something on a London thread about the unrealiability of sat navs on winding country roads and now I'm worried. We'll be driving all over England and Wales from the U.S. (our first visit) in May. I got a sat nav for Christmas and am going to be purchasing and downloading maps of Great Britain. The last thing I want to do is have my DH, who's going to be doing all the driving to get lost.

Also, I'm confused if I need to buy an SD card with the maps or a DVD (would one be more updated than another?) I have a Garmin Nuvi 40LM and I'm hoping to buy maps that will let me download all the addresses of places I'm hoping to visit ahead of time using the computer keyboard but don't know if this is possible. Thanks for the advice.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming there will be a gas station or supermarket to pick up a map, bottled water, etc. not far from Heathrow. My Garmin should highlight them under points of interest. Now if only it showed the price of gasoline at different stations but I can't have it all...We'll be heading towards Salisbury on day 1.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

DS knew someone who should have been at Wells cathedral (Somerset) for a chorister's audition, he didnt arrive.

Texted in, 'in Wells, can't find cathedral'

what can you see? they asked.

Lifeboat shed, he answered

He was in Wells-next-the-sea Norfolk.

GPS and Map and commonsence all needed.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Generally they're excellent - even in the country. My main navigation errors have in fact been when I've tried to ignore "Finoula" (our satnav).

Our maps are indeed the best in the world.

Try petrolprices.com for...petrol prices.

And this brilliant free download, to use your own voice or that of your family on your Garmin satnav garmin.com/us/products/ontheroad/voicestudio

Mike

london
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

you can check petrol prices on

http://www.petrolprices.com/

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

^^ and they are currently going through the roof yet again : -(

Edited: 02 March 2012, 21:47
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

A Satnav and a map--You do need to use them in conjunction with each other.

One of the other things you should do is round up all the postal codes of the places you will visit, as that is what you need to be plugging in. For example, SL4 2HN

Here are some things that my international SATNAV has tried to do....

--told me my destination is on the right, when it was on the left

--told me my destination was 100 yards closer than it really was

--tried to get me to drive the wrong way on a one way street

--tried to get me to drive onto a main street with metal pillars blocking cars from the pedestrian area.

--brought me to a National Trust or other site, but not to the parking lot for that site.

However. It is still very handy when you have a few hundred miles to cover on the highway, and you want the fastest way. Or the most scenic. Or a way that avoids tolls. But buy a map from the local petrol station and have the person riding shotgun use that to help the driver.

And last "slip road" is what they call an off-ramp in the UK. It isn't the name of a road.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

We used to find our way practically everywhere without SatNav. There is absolutely no need for it now if you have a compedent navigator with you.

I know my Dad would find his way around the remotest parts of the UK with no help from my Mum who simply relaid gossip and idle tittle tattle towards my Dad's unresponsive ears. But we always got there.

So if your husband is doing the driving, have a map handy to direct him, don't be given to irrelevant chatter about stuff that he hasn't the remotest interest in, cake baking, friends hair do's and what the neighbours are up to, help him find his way by reading road signs and glancing at the UK's frankly brilliant Ordnance Survey Maps and you might not even need a SatNav at all.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

henneth - my Dad was like that! And he taught me to map read so that I too can find my way to the remotest corner with a paper map. I can see the advantages of SatNavs for delivery drivers, commercial travellers, overseas visitors & those who just want to get from A to B. But you cannot beat our OS maps for helping you to really see the countryside around you. In fact I would not trust a SatNav for myself as I would be too afraid of missing some little gem of a place which I spot on the OS map "if I just take that little side road over there past that church & carry on for half a mile . . . . "

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

That's so true. Even a wrong turn on a SatNav may lead you to a Saxon church or a village green. The British Isle are full of surprises but if you totally rely on the SatNav system, not all of the surprises can be pleasant.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

I tried to register for petrolprices.com and it wouldn't let me because it didn't recognize my U.S. postal code. Do you think I should just input a postal code from one of the attractions we're visiting to make it work?