We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

I recently read something on a London thread about the unrealiability of sat navs on winding country roads and now I'm worried. We'll be driving all over England and Wales from the U.S. (our first visit) in May. I got a sat nav for Christmas and am going to be purchasing and downloading maps of Great Britain. The last thing I want to do is have my DH, who's going to be doing all the driving to get lost.

Also, I'm confused if I need to buy an SD card with the maps or a DVD (would one be more updated than another?) I have a Garmin Nuvi 40LM and I'm hoping to buy maps that will let me download all the addresses of places I'm hoping to visit ahead of time using the computer keyboard but don't know if this is possible. Thanks for the advice.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,519 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Um...yes...

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

I love map reading and am very capable of finding my way around, but the problem is that I'm also the driver and my other half struggles with maps ... the satnav allows me to concentrate on the driving without having to stop and do battle with the maps every few miles

did you know satnavs have saved many a marriage by reducing in-car arguments

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

There isn't a sufficient difference in price per litre to make it worthwhile driving far out of your way to top up. The extra petrol used may outweigh the saving of say 2 p a litre.in general the large supermarkets such as Tesco, Sainsbury or Morrisons or Asda, sell the cheapest petrol. Those directly on the roadside are more expensive but more convenient as the supermarkets are not always readily visible, but if you happen upon one then it would be cheaper.

BTW many car rental companies offer diesel powered cars over here , there are a large proportion of diesel cars on the road, although diesel is a few pence per litre more than petrol you will travel a lot further on a tank of diesel than you can on the same quantity of petrol, thus making it cheaper in th long run and more convenient as you won't be topping up as frequently. Just always remember what fuel you are on at the filling station.

Our road numbers unlike the those in the States are not allocated to a given direction I.e North to South or East to West.

There is a system on the motorways though and in GENERAl the motorways running up and down the country can be assumed to start in London so as you go further away from London the numbers allocated to each junction leaving or joining the motorway will increase, the closer that you get to London they decrease.

Crossing east to west is different

The M62 the motorway crossing the north of England is assumed to tart in Liverpool and the junction numbers increase as you leave Liverpool and approach Leeds, towards York and onto Hull.

Not sure how the M4 goes?

Study the junction numbers on the motorways at the beginning of the journey and check them off as you proceed and this can prevent lengthy mistakes.it is not unheard of for tourists new to the country to belt along the motorway for an hour or two in completely the wrong direction, a hundred mile mistake.

Good luck and I hope that this helps

Edited: 03 March 2012, 01:38
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,519 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Leuca makes a good point regarding petrol. I assumed your query was for a general idea of the cost, but really, the most convenient station is usually best.

Also, your SatNav will tell you there are four or five petrol stations, and that the "nearest one" is SW 2.3 miles. Yeah, I fell for that once. We got off and drove almost 6 miles (because it was only 2.3 miles as the crow flies).

Also, especially in rural places there are not a lot of signs or lights. But don't worry! Your garmin won't know the road name either!

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

when I drove in the US one thing that completely disoriented me at first was how you number your motorway junctions ... here we do it sequentially 1, 2, 3 etc, whereas in Florida it was done on mile markers

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Having recently rented cars in unfamiliar territory the rental company staff have provided a printout of the journey / directions for me.Often a map is provided to get you started

I have always found them helpful in this way. The usual practice with fuel is to receive the car with a full tank and return it full. Usually there is a filling tation very close to the rental return site so that you can top up upon returning.

Automatic?

Or stick

Automatics are available but tend to be in the larger cars but as you are four in a car you should be able to get an auto without difficulty, but diesels and automatics are not common

We also have a system of mile markers, using he emergency phon boxes on h hard shoulder and the small white marker posts inning he length of the motorway, they re used to identify your location should you break down, to he nearest hundred yards. By giving the unique number on each one

Edited: 03 March 2012, 02:01
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

kcowley,

exact routes; cheapest petrol prices.... it's time to stop sweating the small stuff.

You have 4 adults in the car. Delegate navigation to one, and finding fuel to another.

Its supposed to be a holiday....

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

Just to reassure you as peterscot has picked up on your concern about fuel

Unless you are in the Highlands of Scotland you will never be more than thirty miles from a petrol station anyhere in England or North Wales.

All cars take at least ten gallons, it will cost about £60 pounds or a hundred dollars to fill them up from below a quarter full so a couple of pence per litre makes little difference. Don't let the gauge go below a quarter full before refilling and you will not have any dramas about running out of fuel.

You should be able to cover about 350+ miles between top ups no problem.unless you get a big gas guzzler you should achieve at least 35 mpg probably more like 40 mpg

Just don't faint the first time you top up at a hundred dollars!

All the towns that you are going to visit ( York, the Lakes, Salisburyetc) are well signposted from a long way out even Betwys y Coed , you can't get THAT lost it is only a small place after all .

Enjoy , you will be fine K

Edited: 03 March 2012, 03:15
29. Re: Reliability of sat navs on country roads, other sat nav ?s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2013, 10:17