We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination suggestions between Chichester and Loughborough?

Iowa
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Destination suggestions between Chichester and Loughborough?

I'm headed to the UK in a couple of weeks on business, and I have an unexpected free weekend during which I will just need to get myself from Chichester to Loughborough. The rest of the weekend is mine to spend as I please, so I'm hoping to get advice on the best use of my free time!

I had planned to head from Chichester to London on Saturday and depart for Loughborough on Monday, but I wondered if perhaps I might be overlooking some terrific side trip. I've been to London several times so I'd merely be going to revisit old haunts and possibly check out the St. Patrick's Day parade (worth it?).

Are there any must-see destinations I should consider after leaving Chichester, or is London my best option given that I've only got Saturday and Sunday? I'd initially considered Ireland or Scotland, but I'd rather not spend the bulk of my weekend on a train going from point A to point B (and I will be reliant upon public transport). I should also mention that I'm going to Oxford after Loughborough, and I've visited Windsor on prior trips.

I enjoy theater, restaurants, history, markets, walking tours, shopping, pubs, and being immersed in the local culture. If London is my best bet, I'm certain I'll enjoy myself - but wanted to open myself up to the possibility of a new destination I've never visited. I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have for me!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Alternative London
Lessons & Workshops, Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Food Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination suggestions between Chichester and Loughborough?

Bath may be worth considering. It's a one change, 2½ to 3 hr train journey to Bath from Chichester, and a two change, 3½ hr train journey from there to Loughborough. Or you could stay in Bristol and visit Bath on the Sunday, which would make the Monday journey a one changer.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination suggestions between Chichester and Loughborough?

You might consider Brighton. It's a fun seaside resort with the Royal Pavillion too. Chichester to Brighton, Brighton to London Victoria, tube to St Pancras, St Pancras to Loughborough.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,316 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination suggestions between Chichester and Loughborough?

How about Hampton Court Palace, and/or Oxford?

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,785 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination suggestions between Chichester and Loughborough?

With your interests (and nationality !) I'd have thought Lewes would hold more of interest than Brighton : google "Thomas Paine Lewes" to see what I mean.

I wouldn't bother with St Patricks Day in London tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k427…

Still South of London (and still in Sussex and accessible by train) I think Rye and Winchelsea are great too, but they might be a bit small for you.

Have a good trip.

Mike

Edited: 04 March 2012, 22:23
5. Re: Destination suggestions between Chichester and Loughborough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 10:35