We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

Darmstadt, Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

Hi,

i want to make a trip through all of Great Britain and want to know,

which are the Top5 Cities in England or even great Britain to visit?

I want to do a trip with my girlfriend and we are a young couple.

We just have 20 Days and London will take some of them. But what to do with the rest? Please help me with the decision, write your favourites :)

Best regards

London
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

LOL......let the battle begin..........

Everyone will have their own opinions on this, and naturally parochial about their own home town. What do YOU want to get out of your trip - see some history, different culture, nightlife?

It can be hard to distinguish many city centres in the 21st century. Limiting your travel experience just to major industrialised cities is not going to give you a true taste of British culture. Make sure you give yourself some time to get off the beaten track a bit, as well.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

For a start, which do you mean. England or Gt Britain? it makes a big difference. And why cities? If I were touring Gt Britain I would avoid them all.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

I'd suggest Chelmsford, Perth and St Asaph, because no-one will have been there yet.

Don't expect directions.

Winchester
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

Are you driving or on foot? Isle of Wight is good but you need transport really. Winchester in the South is very old and historic. Bath again an old city but as the first reply suggested what are you looking for?

Gotland, Sweden
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

I think we all can list our favourite cities in Britain/England, but how would it help you when we don't know what you would like to see and do?

We may write suggestions of the best historical cities or cathedral cities when all you want is modern culture.

fuchsiagirl:

Why would you avoid all cities if you would tour Great Britain? Yes, every single one of them.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

I dont mean there is anything intrinsically wrong with any city, but I just dont want to be in one of them on holiday, I want to be out in the countryside, beaches, forests, mountains, sea etc. London for a day is Ok, but no more.

The idea of just travelling from city to city, well, I'd rather stay home.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

There's enough to keep anyone busy in London for a week, IMHO.

But I agree with previous posts that cities alone won't capture what England or the U K encompasses. You'd leave out, for example, the incredible Lake District, the Cotswolds, the coasts, etc.

I recommend you get the DK Eyewitness Travel Series Great Britain guidebook and make yourself more familiar with all that is on offer.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

The last place I'd want to spend any of my holiday time in is London. I agree with Fuchsiagirl, out in the countryside, small villages and the like.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

"The last place I'd want to spend any of my holiday time in is London. I agree with Fuchsiagirl, out in the countryside, small villages and the like."

Hear, hear. It's a great shame that so many visitor's experience of England starts and finishes in London.

I'd probably spend a day in London to say I'd been, then get out pronto and meet the locals...

Mike

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 5 Cities of England/Great Britain

"It's a great shame that so many visitor's experience of England starts and finishes in London" I couldn´t agree more.