We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South West England Holiday

Brisbane
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
South West England Holiday

I am planning atrip to Wales and Cornwall and would like some advice on how best to organise the trip.

We will be travelling from Amsterdam to London after a Baltic cruise. It seems that flying will be better than train given the number of changes of train that would be involved.

Having visited London before, I was thinking of staying out of London and thought Windsor would be good as we can visit the castle etc as well as do a day trip into London easily. However I am open to suggestions.

We will have about 10 nightsto fill with about 4 nights to be spent at Windsor (or elsewhere) before heading to Wales via Oxford and Stratford on Avon.

I was thinking of staying somewhere around Abergavenny and using this as a base for about 3 nights to explore the region. Is this a good location to act as a base or should we stay in elsewhere perhaps in England.

We would then go to Cornwall and pick another base perhaps Mevagissey to tour the south of Cornwall.

We want to go to Ireland after the 10 nights and wondered if we should travel to Ireland via ferry rather than flying. If we used the ferry we could do the trip in reverse ending in Wales and then heading for Ireland.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. I realise the trip is in the early stages of planning but I always find that advise from experts is best in the early stages.

We would like to see the Brecon Beacons NP and the Wye Valley. Padstow for fish and chips, the Eden Project, Dartmoor, and River Cottage HQ are places we wanted to visit.

Any help or directions to trip routes would be welcomed.

AllanWW

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,834 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South West England Holiday

Allan you've picked some really good places to visit. How are you travelling between them? Car, train, motorway or sceinic route? It may take a good part of a day from Wales to Cornwall. Google may say 3hrs but I think they gauge it at midnight on Christmas Day!

Do you include the travelling days in the 6 you want to do Wales & Cornwall? They would be mostly a day each unless you start in the very early hours.

The time of year can affect the length of time you need on the road & visiting places.

You could fly from Exeter (Devon) to Ireland. Possibily there is an airport in Cornwall that would do this. Include this in your travel time too. Think about the charge for your luggage tho. Ryan Air charge for everything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc

Once you have worked out your travel times it might be helpful to post on the individual forums for Wales & Cornwall for the best location in each.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 00:50
Brisbane
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South West England Holiday

Hi Sue

Thanks for your advice. Loved the musical!! We are planning to arrive in August and hire a car probably in Windsor. Its then a question of whether we drop it off in Wales and catch the ferry or drive back to Windsor and then fly. I am thinking of the drive back and a drop off.

We can add additional days. We wanted to have about 10 days in Ireland - just the south as well. I will do a bit more work and then go to the specific forums for more comments. At least I am on the right track.

AllanWW

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,834 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South West England Holiday

Make sure you book a car & accommodation asap if you mean this year as this is peak holiday season & main school holidays.

For this reason the traffic (holiday traffic ie people who don't know the road :-) & all the extra supply trucks, caravans etc) is going to be at it's busiest. You will find for this reason & the pretty country roads will possibily be choca so travel times will increase.

Oxford could be a little quieter as the students won't be there. Stratford I would think would be heaving but you never know. They will tell you on an individual posting for this.

Cornwall will also be very busy. But it's a good forum and they will sort you out . If you can book tickets online as far in advance as possible for Cornish things, d,o because it will be very busy.

Outside of the 'honeypots' you should find peace & tranquility if you drive off especially Dartmoor & the Brecons. A contrast.

At least you drive on the correct side of the road so that won't be a problem but we don't have those useful lane road markings that keep you in the right lane!

Use a satnav for major routes if there is one but use common sense & don't take it for granted in the countryside.........they keep us locals entertained in the summer :-)

If you do find the crowds too much then just ask at a cafe or Tourist Info and take off into the countryside. Both Cornwall & Wales are beautiful spots with lots to see that you won't find on the main tourist trail.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 01:17
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South West England Holiday

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

What else to do in Windsor? (plenty)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c167859/Winds…

I recommend that if you have a car while in Windsor, you make sure your lodgings have parking. It will not be free. I would strongly recommend that you not even have a car whilst in Windsor, as it is eminently walkable, and the parking can be expensive.

Events in Windsor, year round:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c167220/Winds…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South West England Holiday

Thanks everyone. I am very pleased that you mentioned the school holidays. I was thinking that late August would be out of the holidays but I now see that you have a long break then. I am planning for 2013 so I still have a fair bit of time. The cruise we were thinking about would get us to Windsor on 27 August. I will have a look and see if there is an earlier one that will get us there in July. Is that a better time to travel??

I am now thinking of 4 nights in Windsor and only getting a car on the day we leave. Then heading to Stratford for 1 night, southern Wales (possibly Tintern) for 3 nights then Cornwall ( possibly Mevagissey) for 3 nights then back to london and a flight to Dublin.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South West England Holiday

School holidays tend to vary only by a day or two at most across the country. My local authority has summer holidays from Thursday 25th July to Wednesday 4th September, 2013. Just to add a fly to the ointment, I seem to recollect recently reading that some places are altering the spread of their holidays, so that summer hols are shortened, but others are lengthened.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,834 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South West England Holiday

Hasn't come about yet Broadland. They are always planning this.

As you are planning for next year would it be possible to do the second week in July or first week in September? The weather is better and most people will be home. Everything still open as this is when the adults start holidays :-)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South West England Holiday

I think I have solved the holiday problem. We can go to Ireland first and then back to the UK. Ireland would be from 27 August till 5September. We would then arrive at Windsor on 6 September. This seems to miss both the Irish school holidays and the UK ones. What do you think???

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South West England Holiday

Lucky you--you'll still be able to take advantage of the "Conquer the Tower" tour if you are so inclined.

royalcollection.org.uk/event/conquer-the-tow…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South West England Holiday

Thanks for all the help and also the Conquer the Tower information. We will take advantage of this. Its a long time to go but the way this year has flown it will not take long.

Allan