We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general bus train question

Norcross, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Topic
general bus train question

We plan to spend 16 days in England, The first 6 days in London. We'd like to take one of those days and visit Chawton/Steventon/Winchester - is that a doable one day trip with a return to London? Would we take a bus or train?

Then we will go to the Peaks for one night - short but all we have--from there on to Bath for two nights - then Lym Regis for one night and back to London. Can we make that swing by train? Will there be local taxi or car we can access to get to Lyme Park in the Peaks?

Once back in London we're going to Paris for 3 days. Is there a package train ticket we should buy? I'm about to book our Eurostar ticket to Paris but wonder if I should be looking for some sort of package.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general bus train question

You can easily get to WInchester by train from London Waterloo. Chawton and Steventon although not far from Winchester would probably need a taxi which would be expensive.

Bit of a waste of time to travel all the way to the peaks for one night.

Bath - good train serice.

Lyme Regis - no trains here but there is a bus service.

Without a hire car you are going to spending a lot of time travelling from one place to the next without having enough time to see much.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general bus train question

What would you expect to find in your Paris package? It might be better posting that question on the Paris forum, but I doubt you will save much by buying a package, plus you will be offered what someone wants to sell you, not necessarily what you want.

Look at Paris hotels, and choose one. Same with tours, or buy a guide book to get yourself around.

The places you want to get to (apart from Bath) do not combine well with public transport - a hire car would be much better.

But have a look at National Express bus services and the train network -

www.nationalrail.co.uk

If you want to get to "far-flung" places, I think you'll need to sacrifice some of your London time.

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general bus train question

Winchester is easily doable in a day by train ; if you stayed the night you could continue on down to Weymouth and either bus (slow) or cab (which wont be cheap) to Lyme Regis. If you can hire a car, take a look at carhire3000.com or easycar.com - carhire3000 could do a small car from Portsmouth/Southampton/Weymouth for a few days for less than £100; you can then explore all along that part of the country. Make it a few more days and you could get over to Bath, see Stonehenge, Avebury and much more.

The peak district in one night is a bit of a stretch... I wouldn't bother unless you can get more time, and a car, as with the Dorset coast, is a must really unless you've got a lot of time;

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
400 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general bus train question

You can get to Chawton by bus, we did it a couple years ago. Stop by the Tourist Information Center in Winchester (Guildhalll building) they have a handout that explains which bus (bus station is across the street from the TIC) and the short walk to Chawton.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: general bus train question

Although I am the DE for the Peak District, I have to agree that one night in the Peaks is not going to be enough to make the journey worth while. Also bear in mind that Lyme Park is on the Manchester edge of the Peak District, well away from other points of interest in the Peak Park.

If you can extra night into your Peak District itinerary and can give us some idea of what you would like to see whilst you are there, I would be happy to try and help you get around by bus and train.

One final question - how much luggage are you gong to be carrying around with you ? the UK is not flush with places that you can leave luggage whilst you explore the local area, and trying to cart it around with you on public transport is no fun !

Phil-the-Bus

Norcross, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: general bus train question

So much great information. We'll start making adjustments to our plan. Thanks so much all.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: general bus train question

I suggest you have your planning involve a map, since at the moment it involves a *ridiculous* amount of zigzagging around England :-)

I would rent a car to see Winchester/Chawton/Lyme Regis, far too inconvenient (and time consuming) by public transport. Bath can be done by train from London or combined with the above Winchester etc trip. I would forget Peak District for just one night plus its well out of your way, the time taken being out of proportion for a night.

For Paris, sometimes there are very good deals available on the Eurostar website for combined train/hotel package, sometimes with a days sightseeing tour included. Well worth checking into.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: general bus train question

Am visiting Lyme Regis over the August bank holiday. Trying to find the best way to get from Lyme Regis to Sidmouth for a day trip with my mum. Doesn't look like a direct bus service is available. Would a taxi be too expensive??

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: general bus train question

There is a direct bus service - First's X53.

It stops at Sidford, which is on the northern outskirts of Sidmouth - there should be a local bus for the last bit but it's a fair walk if they don't tie up.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 22:56
London
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: general bus train question

Thank you for your reply. As my mum is quite elderly, I probably will not take the chance and instead, enquire about the taxi; should we decide to go.