We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

Hi,

As a Sikh born in England but raised in the US I've always wanted to take my kids around UK and see the countryside and unique areas of the country. I've only ever been to London and the south coast so am unfamiliar with other areas. In general are the people tolerant when it comes to race? or are there some areas not worth the trouble? I would hate my kids to come away from the trip with a bad experience and would like to avoid that as best as possible.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

The British are a very tollerant people and welcome everybody.

Of course you are bound to find the occasional biggoted idiot but on the whole you will be treated with respect and friendliness.

Come and enjoy the Brish countryside.

I will begin by saying Welcome to England.

Graham

Essex
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

Sikhs are everywhere in the UK anyway, you will not stand out as 'different' and you should not have any problems.

Welcome and Enjoy!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,338 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

I think you would be very unlucky to encounter any prejudice whilst in the UK. It's a very multi-cultural country and you'll find plenty of Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims, Jews and people of every persuasion going about their daily lives without hassle.

Enjoy yourselves!

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

welcome indeed, please do bring your children to the uk. we are a very tolerant nation and i would be surprised and very disappointed if you were to experience racism during your stay. do post your intended areas to visit and hopefully some sikhs or non-sikhs local to those areas may reply and help put your mind at rest.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,335 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

I agree. I always personally consider members of the Sikh religion to be very honourable and genuine people who do a lot for the community they live in. In Scotland (especially around Glasgow) there is a large Sikh population who have enriched Scottish society.

Come, enjoy.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,921 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

I think the welcome you'll get will be like as on here.

However, I would also agree with travelhols11, that you could say where you were thinking of going so that your mind is put to rest.

To be honest, I think there are intolerant people and pockets of prejudice dotted in backwaters around the country. They would not be on any tourist's route, so I agree you should always be met with tolerance on your trip.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

I'd really like to just rent a car and drive along the south coast, Brighton, Hastings, Portsmouth, Cornwall and then drive upwards passing through Cardiff, Liverpool then all the way to Glasgow and Edinburgh then down through Leeds, Nottingham, out to Norwich and Cambridge and then back to London. It's a long trip I know, but I went on a similar one as a child and it's my best traveling memory.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

Pretty well all those places you mention have fairly cosmopolitan populations so I really do think you will be fine.

If anything we are probably even 'better' here now than when you were a kid, and if it was good then, what makes you think it would be worse now??

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

And you can make your itinerary even better by remembering to include Suffolk this time:-)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Racism/Tolerance in UK countryside remote towns

How long are you planning on staying?