We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

As we enter the main bonfire season, I thought it might be useful to start a list of the displays, for anyone visiting and wanting to enjoy this English tradition.

This is the best list I've found for East Sussex, probably the home of bonfire. Unlike most other areas of England, these invariably include processions (as well as fireworks of course). Many of these displays are in towns with stations, although these will be busy for the return journey. I'd suggest Rye or Battle as good places to start - there is rail access, but make sure you check the time of the last train. Lewes is the best IMHO, with it's competing bonfires and displays, but may be too crowded for some - and indeed"outsiders" are discouraged these days.

http://www.battelbonfire.co.uk/Dates.php

Here's a list of London bonfires should you not want the hassle of travelling : timeout.com/london/feature/3047/bonfire-nigh…

I'm biased of course - but I really think it's worth experiencing the whole procession/bonfire/fireworks thing, which means heading out of town. But hey, you've made it this far ! I met a bloke from Brazil at Lewes last year...

Have fun , keep safe - and feel free to add other local events to this list.

Mike

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Good work Mikey. Im heading down to the South Coast to stay with friends on Friday, so will be attending both the Eastbourne and Hastings displays.

If previous years are anything to go by I wont be dissapointed !

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Thanks BB - let us know whether it's worth making the trip, IYHO !

Mike

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Lewes is of course the greatest of them all (always which on the hill with five or six simultaneous displays going on) but it is getting seriously hectic and not for the faint hearted. Battle and Rye are definately good alternatives, the latter normally happens abit later on the bonfire night.

Hastings is a great warm up to bonfire nights (it normally happens during Hastings week (a week long festival in Hastings and Battle celebrating the battle of Hastings) - i think they are next saturday (13th of October).

Like all good east sussex bonfire celebrations they have the torchlit parades and all the great costumes and effigies but it is more spread out and less busy then Lewes so you get a better view. There is also the added bonus of fireworks on the beach with the great refelctions in across the sea. Would definately recommend it as a taster for East Sussex bonfire celebrations.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,312 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Bridgwater Guy Fawks Carnival. The oldest (from the time of the gunpowder plot) and biggest illuminated carnival

Brilliant carnival with over 200 huge floats takes 2hrs to pass then it's the 'squibbing' where over 100 hand held squibs are set off as a finale.

www.youtube.com/watch…

the floats (carts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nxqeHJEVf0

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 06 October 2012, 00:15
Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,312 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

PS Squibs = (old name for) fireworks

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,312 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Also Minehead a big display over the beach. Beautiful as it is reflected in the water.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Liverpool always has big, free displays in Newsham Park and Sefton Park organised by the city council.

Similair events run over on the Wirral.

There is a big display up in Southport which is supposed to be well organised too.

I should get a a birds eye view as I'm flying in from Schipol on the evening of 5th Nov !

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Cambridge has a free display with funfair (Linked with council_, and Saffron Walden has a free one (Organized by the scouts) plus I believe Haverhill has a free one to.

Not sure about Newmarket, but these are the best I can personally recommend in my area, I'm not mentioning one as it's becoming very expensive, and there are far better ones around than the event there.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Bump - Hastings celebrations are this weekend, a direct train from Charing Cross for any interested visitors currently in London.

http://www.hbbs.info/

Mike

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bonfire/Fireworks displays 2012

Mikey. I was a bit dissapointed with the Eastbourne display last weekend, probably because I was comparing it with previous Hastings displays.

The procession of the various Bonfire Societies was entertaining enough, and of course most if not all of them will be taking part at Hastings this weekend.

The bonfire itself was on the small side, and the fireworks display was very average. On the plus side the weather was perfect, and I'm hoping it will stay dry for Hastings.

Cheers. BB