We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit England

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit England

Hi we are planning a trip to England next year and wondering if a good time to visit would be August/September. Would most of the crowds be gone by then and would things have become somewhat cheaper?

Cheers, Olive

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,478 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit England

August will be busy with families taking holidays and the last Bank Holiday weekend of the summer at the end of the month.

Things will change in September after school and Uni terms start, although business traveller numbers will start to rise again after the summer lull.

'... would things have become somewhat cheaper?' Not necessarily. Hotel rates, admission costs for sights and attractions, resto costs and the like tend to stay the same year around although there are some exceptions: Premier Inns and Travelodge hotels offer lower rates for early bookings. Raiil fares go on sale from 12 weeks in advance of travel dates, usually with the best selection of fares at that time.

The weather will be as changeable in September as it is at other times of year, but there is always a chance for mild days and clear evenings with a snap of autumn in the air.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,741 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit England

The school children return back to school usually around the first week in September and this does make a difference (all of August will be very busy so avoid if you can).

However, many people (us included now our children have grown up) deliberately wait until the beginning of September to holiday for this very reason, so it will still be busy.

Would May or June be possibilities? May has a couple of Bank Holidays and a school half term week, but is a lovely time to travel especially if you are planning to visit gardens as the flowers will be in bloom.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit England

June. Not one of your two choices, but you did ask.

I wouldn't expect cheaper prices at any time of year apart from airfare, and that would be at times of year I would say wouldn't be "best".

What were you expecting to be cheaper?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit England

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was expecting perhaps accommodation to be cheaper.

Last time we visited UK for a 21 day Insight tour, it was in May/June and the weather was absolutely beautiful. But we were hoping to experience the autumn weather over there.

I have been noticing the daily weather forecast for London the last few weeks and there seems to have been quite a bit of rain and lower temps which I suppose is to be expected.

After your comments, perhaps we need to have a re-think about time of year but all our grandchildren have their birthdays in the first half of the year and we like to be here for that.

We may just have to bite the bullet and be prepared for some crowds early in our trip.

Cheers

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,049 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit England

< But we were hoping to experience the autumn weather over there. >

It's not much different from the May-June weather - but with fewer daylight hours.

Don't expect a glorious display of autumn colour as in New England as autumn lasts from August to November in much of the UK so looking today at the hillside opposite me some trees are virtually denuded of leaves, some are brown and others are still green

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit England

Looking out of my window this October morning in rural Kent everything is still very green with barely a hint of gold. Autumn does come slightly earlier the further north you go, but if you are looking for Autumn colours then IMO later in October would be a better time. The problem being the later you visit the more unpredictable the weather so I guess you have to decide if you are happy to take the chance.

As alanrow says the colours are generally soft yellows to browns rather than the brilliant colours of New England.

Edited: 06 October 2012, 09:39
Mentioned in this post
Kent
Kent
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit England

I was expecting perhaps accommodation to be cheaper.

=====

Maybe Nov and Jan-Feb, if at all. Hotel prices in Lodnon dont change much as there is so much business travel there at all times.

Re looking forward to autumn weather I don't know why you'd look forward to gloom, drizzle or rain, low temperatures and short daylight hours !!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit England

We love fall in the UK. We currently in Lavenham, Suffolk and it is a beautiful fall day, crisp and sunny. Yesterday was gray and it rained last night but it was still OK. Why not Octobee?

Mentioned in this post
Suffolk
Suffolk
East Anglia, UK
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit England

You want to experience autumn weather? I'm curious, what's the attraction of howling gales and drizzle?

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit England

"I'm curious, what's the attraction of howling gales and drizzle?"

Best come in July for that, if this year was anything to go by.

It's autumn now and the weather here was lovely today. That will change of course. If you assume that the UK weather will be bad and pack accordingly, then it's likely you'll be pleasantly surprised. Be prepared and don't let the weather - or the doom merchants - put you off.

Mike

Edited: 06 October 2012, 20:14