We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Manchester

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London to Manchester

Hello everyone! I am arriving in London via Heathrow, Friday evening the 13th of December. I will be departing the following Monday morning. I only have Friday night and the weekend to spend. I want to get up to Manchester and Cheshire. There is a grave site that I would like to visit while in Cheshire.

My question is once I land in Heathrow, where do I go from there? For lodging and entertainment. Pubs, food etc. Also, how should I travel to Manchester/Cheshire? Thanks for any ideas.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Manchester

you can fly

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Manchester

Thanks for the speedy reply. I may fly one way and take the train the other way. Will the train provide me a good view of England on the way? Also, I forgot to ask about the cemetery. What should I expect as far as visiting hours? Also what should I expect to pay for hotel room per night? In or around London. Just an average accommodation. Nothing fancy and nothing scary.

Edited: 10 November 2012, 01:42
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,258 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Manchester

Once you get to Heathrow head for the Euston - Kings Cross - St Pancras area and get a hotel there.

Try a site like www.booking.com to search for rooms. You should be able to get a room for about £50-£60 a night.

There's a half hourly train service from London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly.

Check www.virgintrains.co.uk for times and fares.

Where in Cheshire is it that you want to go? You will be able to get to most places in Cheshire by local train and bus services.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Manchester

Thanks Matt! Macclesfield is were I will be heading.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Manchester

There's one train an hour direct - no changes - between London Euston and Macclesfield

That might tip the balance against flying - it's a (only slightly) awkward journey from Manchester Airport to Macclesfield

And yes you should see a bit of countryside on the way

Edited: 10 November 2012, 08:56
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Manchester

If it's the main Macclesfield Cemetery it is about a mile from the station (with a steep uphill incline) - the station does have a taxi rank. Details for the cemetery including opening hours & contacts at:

cheshireeast.gov.uk/community_and_living/ber…

If that's not the cemetery you're looking for please say & I'll see what I can find.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Manchester

And if you want to stay overnight in Macclesfield there's a decent Travelodge close by the train station. (Rooms typically cost about £30-£40)

The Silk Museum is worth a visit too if you've time. Again it's walking distance from the station and Travelodge.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Manchester

Cheshirecat..thank you very much. That is the right cemetery. It is also nicenice to know that the station will take me within a mile of the cemetery. Thank you for providing the link.

9. Re: London to Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2013, 10:17