We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best "super shoes" for touring?

USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
best "super shoes" for touring?

On our 2-week trip to England and Ireland this May, we are going to try to take carry-on luggage only. We are thinking of taking only 1 pair of shoes (on our feet), along with maybe 1 pair of flip flops each. Is this a smart decision? What brand of shoes would you recommend that would be

A: good for walking long distances (good arch support)

B: warm

C: quick drying

Do they even make such a "super-shoe", lol.? We won't be needing anything fancy, but were thinking a dark color would be nice.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

Why bring flip flops if you are trying to limit your luggage? Not a good choice for walking and they certainly aren't warm

USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

They would mainly act as slippers in the hotel and B&B rooms/showers, if needed. But I figured they could also be worn outside in a pinch (whereas slippers could not).

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

Well, hard to say. Do you plan on doing any hiking? Country walks?

I am part of a walking group, and it can be muddy on the trails sometimes. We usually bring a separate pair of shoes, as the landlords generally don't like large group of muddy feet. One pub we like even has a sign at the entrance, "no muddy boots."

I would bring a pair of flats and wear your boots, if that's what you intend.

If that is too much to fit in a 22" inch rolling suitcases, then your problem may be that you are packing too many clothes.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

I can do two week cruises with three pairs of shoes, I wear my walking boots at all times on shore and a pair of plimsolls on deck - on and the pair of strappy heels for dinner. Without the fancy dinners I could manage with two pairs.

Plimsolls are better than flip flops, they double up as slippers and you can wear them indoors/outdoors in the evenings.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

Good for you for going HLO.

Google "hiking sandals" - and pray for good weather.

Mike

USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

We are not planning on hiking, but if we happen to come upon a pretty side path, we may investigate.

And by "boots", are you guys meaning tennis shoes? Or actual boots?

Mike, my order is definitely in for warm, dry weather and lots of sun! we'll see how that works out for me. ;)

Edited: 01 March 2013, 23:57
Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
558 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

I am adept at "traveling light" but I would also consider what you need to be comfortable. If this is your normal mode and you've done it many times, read no further. But I firmly believe in two pairs of comfortable shoes--one on your feet and a spare. It is frequently sloppy wet in England and wearing wet shoes is blister-inducing misery. I take a back-pack for my carry-on and a 22" good rolling bag and I can stay for two plus weeks with just a little washing. Packing light is great--but not at the expense of ruining a trip. The weather can also turn on a dime. I can guarantee hot in Texas in July--it will never be cold at that time! But the weather can range much more dramatically in the UK and a jacket and long sleeves to shorts and light tops are a must for May travel. Ireland can be downright cold in May!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

What people in the U.S. call sneakers or tennis shoes are called trainers in the UK. I think that no matter what you call them, they would be unsuitable for walking in wet, potentially muddy conditions, take quite some time to dry out, and really never look good with anything you would wear to a restaurant.

Two pairs would be a good idea, but I would not buy them right before your trip, or you will have blisters. Make sure they are comfortable and you have had a chance to wear them for at least a month before you go.

Packing light is great, and will never ruin a trip. England does still have a few clothing stores left, last time I checked.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

That's good advice. I'd buy them now and wear them in.

Don't let the "hiking" word put you off, those things are great for walking around cities too (and you will do a fair amount of walking I think) and have the benefit of drying out quicker when they do get wet.

Mike

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best "super shoes" for touring?

For years now my standard walking shoes as opposed to boot s have been just a good pair of sturdy leather lace ups in black or dark brown, no particular brand springs to mind, but do get them now and wear them every day(not all day every day!) so that they are comfortable.

Boots are boots, heavy, half way up the ankle, made of good leather and laced up tight, tennis shoes are probably what I call plimsolls, not a lot of use for walking but ok at home or on deck.