We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days to explore

sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
10 days to explore

I am leaving London on May 12 and have to return by May 22. I will be traveling by car with my wife. We were thinking of spending time in the Cotswolds then proceding to Liverp[ool followed by the Lake district to Hadrians wall, York and Cambridge. I realise this is a bit broad but am looking for suggestions. We enjoy walking and can afford accomodations of $100 to $150 per night.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall
474 Reviews
Carlisle, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days to explore

I think this is too much for ten days. You'll be covering about 700 miles and 6 different places all in 10 days.

You won't get to see much of anything except the road.

Can you cut out some of the places?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days to explore

I agree with Laura - too much for ten days. I don't know how energetic you are as walkers, but the Cotswolds is very gentle and civilised compared to Lake District and Hadrians Wall area. If you're up for something a bit more challenging, why not simply cut out the Cotswolds and spend more time in the Lakes or Northumberland?

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall
474 Reviews
Carlisle, UK
Northumberland
Northumberland
England, UK
sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days to explore

Sandy

Thanks for the input. As far as walking, my wife and I can easily walk 5 or 6 miles or more if it's worth it. I will do some research on Lakes vs Nothumberland. I welcome your input.. Can you give an opinion on where to visit between Hadrians wall and London?

Regards

Dennis

Mentioned in this post
Sandy
Sandy
Bedfordshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days to explore

Can you give an opinion on where to visit between Hadrians wall and London?

Well, the Cotswolds and the Lake District leap to mind!

The thing is, I am assuming you will want to spend some actual time walking in/being in these locales. You would have to do that in daylight, and on a day you are not driving. I would spend at least two days in the Cotswolds, three if you are keen on walking. For the Lake District at least three--and many B & Bs there will want a minimum 2-3 night stay. Hadrian's wall would be a separate day. That's six days already, aside from the driving, and you haven't yet hit York, or Cambridge. Or returned to London.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall
474 Reviews
Carlisle, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days to explore

Can possibly cut out some places. What would you recommend omitting? Thanks for your response.

sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days to explore

North Wales versus lake district. I am thinking of bypassing North Wales and increasing time in Lake district

(hiking) and York. Would appreciate an opinion.

Regards

Mentioned in this post
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Hexham...
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days to explore

I would head for York on your first day. It's about a 4 &1/2 hour drive. Stop overnight and spend most of the next day there, then I'd head off to newcastle for an overnight stay. Then spend the next day following the coastal route up the Northumberland coast taking in Craster, dunstanburgh castle, bamburgh castle and lindisfarne. Have an overnight stay in alnwick, the. Spend the next day heading south west giving you a full day on hadrians wall. I'd then have a few nights in Keswick in the lakes before you head south.

Both York and Newcastle are quite compact cities so best explored on foot. The beaches on the Northumberland coast are beautiful and remain very quiet. You can spend a few hours walking on the sandy beaches, a favourite of mine being beadnal bay.

On hadrians wall, check out housesteads and walk along the wall to steel rigs for the most spectacular views.

In the lake district you are spoiled for choice for all levels of experience.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Northumberland
Northumberland
England, UK
Craster
Craster
Alnwick, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
8. Re: 10 days to explore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:16