We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight trips outside of London

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight trips outside of London

We plan to spend our first few days in London leisurely touring and enjoying the sites. We are not "regimented" tourist...perhaps we are more of casual tourist who enjoy seeing the sites as much as we enjoy "experiencing" the culture.

We would like to target a couple of village/cities outside London where we could travel, enjoy the town and spend the night. We have identified YORK and CHESTER as possibilities.

Can anyone tell us if these are good options, or if you would suggest something we have not considered.

We are looking for a town/village where we can explore it by foot, shop in antique stores, grab a beer in a pub or two (or three) along the way & catch a few historical sites.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

Brighton, Bath, Southampton, Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, etc...

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

Have a look at US authors book notes from a small island he pretty much somes us up perfectly probably best tour book without being one and also very funny

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

York sounds perfect for one of your choices. There's a very regular train service from Kings Cross although some of the trains are much faster than others. Once you are off the train you can be into the heart of the city within minutes - very walkable. Many feel the Minster is worth the trip alone.

Yorkshire people are known to be very friendly, and the Yorkshire food is wonderful. If you decide on York do post more specific questions about Hotels etc on the local York forum.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

I'd go to one of those (both cities), but then somewhere a bit smaller to give you some variation. Rye would be my suggestion, Ely would be another good choice.

http://www.visitryebay.com/

Mike

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

Hello! I agree with argyl mike. One big place and one smaller - this will give you more of a flavour of England away from the main international visitor routes. York is a fantastic city - as well as the historical sites it has the National Railway Museum with lots of static engines - your children may love getting up close and personal to these brutes.

For a small town, as well as Rye or Ely I'ld recommend Lewes in Sussex. On the railway, lovely attractive old town with lots to see, and beautiful countryside close by for a walk or drive.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

Lewes has an interesting US connection http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10507823, a small castle, Anne of Cleeves house, a very, very good curry place and some great pubs (I enjoyed the latter two myself yesterday !). Add a very good B&B network http://www.lewesbandb.co.uk/ and it's a fine choice. I'd still try to find the time to visit Rye though.

Mike

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

OXFORD!

It's not to far from London (an hour by train), bursting with history, beautiful architecture, fabulous meusems, tasty food and great people.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

You could combing Cambridge and Ely, under an hour from KIng's Cross. and quite different from all the others, very rural , yet cosmopolitan if that makes sense.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

You might consider Stamford - around 100 miles north of London. Train to Peterborough and change to Stamford. A lovely stone built town with great food. And Burghley House next door - Elizabethan bling at its finest. You could get back on the train and go on to Ely and Cambridge too.

And as already suggested by the Plymouth mob - Brighton, Lewes and Rye would give you a splendid southern mix. Direct train to Brighton, train on to Lewes. Rye's a bit more difficult but really worth a trip.

10. Re: Overnight trips outside of London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 05:17