We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airport york and lakes district and help with itinerary

perth
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best airport york and lakes district and help with itinerary

Hi firstly apologies for my poor geographical knowledge.

I have been doing some research but am finding working out which direction to do things a little tricky. Please bear with me!

We are flying into London on the 4th July arriving early morning. We want to spend the next few days in London getting acclimatized and hopefully catching up with a friend. We have been to London before so not too fussed about only having a few days.

We then want to go to Bath- probably overnight

onto the cotswolds- 2 nights

york 1 or 2 nights

then lakes districts hopefully 4 nights

flying to Iceland from manchester on the 17th July

My questions are

Is this the best airport to fly to iceland from with this itinerary

Are we better off doing lakes district and york the other way around

Are we best off catching a train to bath and renting a car there or renting a car from london

Are one way rental fees expensive

Thasnks for any help

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airport york and lakes district and help with itinerary

Limited choice of airports to fly to Iceland from, Manchester is probably your best bet.

Given the parking situation in York I would leave York to the end of your trip and return the car there rather than Manchester.

There are regular trains from York to Manchester Airport.

For the same reasons as York I wouldn't rent a car until you are leaving Bath

Sometimes they can be, sometimes they may not

perth
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airport york and lakes district and help with itinerary

Thanks for your reply.

How long does the train journey from York to Manchester airport take? and is this difficult to manage with large suitcases

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airport york and lakes district and help with itinerary

The trains take an hour and three quarters from York to Manchester Airport. Flights to Iceland leave from Terminal One, the terminal nearest to the rail station.

You'll have no trouble with luggage, you'll reach the terminal via lifts, travelators and escalators. There are no steps.

4. Re: Best airport york and lakes district and help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 06:17