We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belgium to England not using Eurostar

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Topic
Belgium to England not using Eurostar

Hello.

I am trying to figure out how to get from Bruges back to southern England without using the Eurostar and going all the way back to London.

I can't find any passenger ferries leaving from Belgium, only from France, is that correct?

We want to end up in Deal in Kent, any suggestions gratefully received.

It looks like we have to go via France, any other routes to southern England?

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belgium to England not using Eurostar

Stena Line's Dutch Flyer service operates ferries from Hook of Holland to Harwich. There is a ferry service with Transeurope from Ostend to Ramsgate but one cannot travel as a foot passenger, only with a vehicle.

If the Dutch Flyer is not an option then it will have to be ferry from Calais to Dover.

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belgium to England not using Eurostar

Ok then, can I have opinions then on what would be less hassle:

getting from Bruges to Calais to Dover by train and ferry then pick up hire car to drive to Deal (family roots thing going on with husband)

or:

eurostar Brussels to London then train back to somewhere in Kent(suggestions for biggest town with most frequent trains from London?) then pick up hire car

thanks

ps. am thinking one day is Bruges is just not worth the "detour"

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,665 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Belgium to England not using Eurostar

There's a once a day Eurostar service to Ashford International where it's an hour by train to Deal

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Belgium to England not using Eurostar

fantastic, I was getting lost on the eurostar site but that would work brilliantly, thanks

London
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belgium to England not using Eurostar

If the timing of the one-per-day Eurostar to Ashford doesn't work, there are more trains that stop at Ebbsfleet, only a few minutes further down the line. Frequent trains from Ebbsfleet to Dover.

If you don't use Eurostar, you take the local train Bruges to Lille, then another local train to Calais Ville. The port is not near the station, so you need a local bus or taxi to the terminal. P&O take foot passengers on the Dover Calais route but only on daytime crossings. I've done the crossing this way, and frankly it's a lot of time and hassle.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Belgium to England not using Eurostar

<<ps. am thinking one day is Bruges is just not worth the "detour">>

Not sure what you mean by ''the detour'' - but a day in Bruges is most certainly worth while if it can be reasonably fitted in.

7. Re: Belgium to England not using Eurostar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:18