We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Countryside travel

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Countryside travel

We are 4 adults who will be spending about 4-5 days outside of London June 21-25th.. We are looking for a relaxing drive through the country side. We just priced basic cost of car at $150 however we are concerned about cost of fuel. Any idea what we would be spending on just the transportation. Thinking of driving to Cotswold or Dover areas. On a previous post I was given suggestions for the lovelier places to drive to however I cannot locate those messages. Thank you for any help you can provide.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Countryside travel

Perhaps here...?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g186281-i1114-Cots…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Countryside travel

Cannot find it. The thing is I printed it and did not get a chance to read it. I've got a bit discouraged because my husband thinks that in order to drive around the countryside for 4 days , we would use like 3 tanks of fuel plus the car rental. He estimates 200 dollars for rental and about 400+ dollars for fuel. Don't know how to estimate this. Thank you. I appreciate your response as our trip is about 6 weeks away.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Countryside travel

If you're getting a small, economical car, work on £10 per 100 miles. A gas guzzler (25-30 mpg) will be half that.

Dover would not be my choice for countryside. It's a large channel port. If you're keen to see the white cliffs, then my standard response is to head a little further west to see The Seven Sisters in East Sussex (they're the ones you see on most films depicting TWCOD anyway).

Biased though I am, I'd recommend Sussex generally for some rural rides, close to London. Rye, Lewes, Bosham and the museum of rural life at Singleton will all have something to interst you, as will the villages of Romney Marsh, The High Weald and The South Downs.

Mike

Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Countryside travel

If it helps with the sums; unleaded petrol currently £1.32 per litre and diesel £1.37. It will be more in London and on the motorways. The rest will depend on how frugal the car is and how far you want to go.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Countryside travel

How about taking the train from London to York, have a day exploring this beautiful city (no car needed).

Then hire a car from York and explore the wonderful North Yorkshire countryside. You have two National Parks (the Dales and the North Yorks Moors) close by and you won't need to do silly distances.

As well as some of the loveliest countryside in England there are abbeys, castles, stately homes, steam railways etc - loads to see and do.

www.visityork.org/

www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/

www.northyorkmoors.org.uk

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Countryside travel

On a relaxing 4-5 days drive from London to the Cotswolds and back, you would probably only fill the tank once at most, so a fuel cost of about £80-90 max, depending on the type of vehicle you hire.

Most petrol cars on rental fleets will do at least 35-40mpg in normal driving of the type you envisage, and a diesel car might do 45-50mpg in normal driving (manufacturers figures will claim more but these are based on an artificial journey cycle, and can't really be replicated in real driving).

In any event, your hubby's $400 estimate would be enough to get you down to Cornwall and back 4 times, so a massive over-estimate.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Countryside travel

I normally just about get from the Cotswolds to London and back (75 miles each way) on half a tank, in a car that costs a bit over £60 for a full tank (and is perfectly comfortable for four adults)

You're unlikely to do much more than 100 miles pottering each day (distances are VERY short here: it's tne driving time that's long). I'd budget two tanks of fuel, unless it's diesel

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Countryside travel

Thank you everyone for the information.

Poollounger, I thought $400 was too high so I win that battle against my hubby !!!

Figured we will get a car and see your beautiful country. One other question. Since we want to roam, we don't want to lock ourselves and have to be in a certain village on a certain day, so thinking of no reservations for a room. Figure if driving we can find room in smaller towns/villages. What does everyone think?

Thank you again for helping us. My friends did not know of Trip Advisor and think its awsome, and so do I, that we can hear from people that live there or are familiar with the area.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Countryside travel

No not there. Thank you anyway. I have gotten some new ideas of where to go. Thank you

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Countryside travel

Thank you for information. I would not want to be in a port city so we will go north west.