We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in England

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel in England

I need to book train travel from London to Manchester, Manchester to Liverpool and Liverpool to London during the week of June 24. What do folks recommend? Should I book London to Manchester and Liverpool to London on Eurostar online and then just buy the Manchester to Liverpool at the train station in Manchester? Can I purchase a Manchester to Liverpool ticket that can be used anytime on June 27 or 28? Thank you.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.80*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.60*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
627 reviews
from US$100.30*
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in England

Why would you book with Eurostar? They have nothing to do with trains to the north of England. And certainly do not try to buy tickets (apart possibly from Manchester to Liverpool) by turning up at the station on the day unless you want to waste £200 or more.

Look at www.virgintrains.co.uk for London to Manchester and Liverpool to London trains. That will show you the cheapest available tickets on the days you want to travel. Decide on which you want and buy as quickly as possible as the prices will only rise as the cheapest 'Advance' tickets, which are very limited, are sold.

Look at www.tpexpress.co.uk for Manchester to Liverpool trains

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in England

<<Should I book London to Manchester and Liverpool to London on Eurostar online>>

Only if you are immediately connecting to a Eurostar train, eg you are travelling (for example) Paris-London-Manchester and then later Liverpool-London-Paris.

Otherwise go here …nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search and follow the links to buy.

Tickets bought in advance (eg now) will be substantially cheaper than on the day. I dont know if you get a deal if travelling on Eurostar. IF you arent travelling on Eurostar, don't buy through them.

<<then just buy the Manchester to Liverpool at the train station in Manchester?>>

Seems simple to do, and I doubt any savings buying in advance so yes.

<< Can I purchase a Manchester to Liverpool ticket that can be used anytime on June 27 or 28? >>

I do not believe so, and in any case its a work of a minute to buy at the station so just buy on the day you need it.

Edited: 02 June 2013, 21:28
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel in England

Wow, Chesterbuff. You tell it like it is. I'm really novice England traveler and just don't know all that you know. Thanks for your very candid advice.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel in England

Joe, Thank you for your help. And I appreciate that you delivered it in a thoughtful way. This is exactly what I need. Thank you again.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel in England

Apologies if I sounded brusque...I didn't intend that. I was simply trying to give you the correct information succinctly

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel in England

I'd also suggest checking out uk.megabus - if you book early you can usually get some good deals.

7. Re: Train travel in England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 05:16