We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental

I am getting ready to rent a car for a three plus week driving trip thru Britain and Scotland. I have been trying to work thru the car rental maze, but am a bit confused. My questions.

1. I was looking at autoeurope. They offer car insurance. Does anyone know if this is through the rental company, or autoeurope. If autoeurope, any experiences with third party insurance when dealing with an issue with the actual rental company.

2. Should I get insurance directly from the rental company, or, since the cost is less, through a thrid party like autoeurope for less problems.

3. If I just use the insurance offered by my credit card company, any experiences with dealing with the rental company if there is a damage issue with coverage with the credit card coverage.

Thanks for the help.

London
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

Autoeurope is a broker. Personally, I prefer to have a booking reference with the rental company itself, then there is no ambiguity when you pick up about what the rate does / does not cover.

If you take insurance through Autoeurope or your credit card and incur damage, the rental company will charge your credit card - then you claim it back. I use the Amex insurance, and their claim procedure was straightforward and quick. However, some people don't want to go through that fuss and hassle, in which case you need to take the extra insurance offered by the rental company.

If you use insurance provided by a credit card (and I do) you need to check the policy wording carefully on your scheme - they're all different - some don't offer coverage outside your home country.

General 'cultural difference' comment. All rental companies in Europe are much much stricter about damage control than they are in the US.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

Just so you know:-) Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales. If Scotland were to gain the independence which some want, then referring to Britain and Scotland MIGHT not be so inaccurate.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

If your CC company offers insurance then there is no point in spending more money by buying cover twice. As said though just check the T&C's carefully.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

If your CC company' say' they offer insurance then get it in writing! and be aware that in the case of a claim, you would have to pay it and then claim it back from the CC co,

5. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about England