We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking in Dorset

Rome, Italy
4 posts
Save Topic
walking in Dorset

Could anyone suggest a scenic walking route from Salisbury (or environs) to the coast near Swanage? I'm an experienced hiker but new to England. As a reader of Hardy, I'd like to get a feel for the downs. I saw info on the Wessex Ridgeway, but that seems to head further west to Lyme Regis. Also I'm hoping to spend the nights in B&B's or hostels and wondering whether I can get by without booking in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking in Dorset

You could take the Avon valley path down to Christchurch on the coast, that's a very nice route. Very easy to follow, n something I keep meaning to do but never get around to! (Used to live in that neck of the woods).

Not sure about routes to swanage though! If you had to end up there, there are some nice routes. It depends how much time you have. Corfe Castle area has some nice routes, n when I was a kid I used to love the caves at swanage, but no idea how to get to them now!

Edited: 25 June 2013, 17:25
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking in Dorset

There's a superb walk from Old Sarum (or you can pick it up by Salisbury Golf Course) down to Badbury Ring, largely on old Roman Roads - when I did it some years back we hardly saw a soul over the 2 days (overnighted in the Pub at Sixpenny Handley) - it's about 26 miles. That'd get you halfway almost in a straight line.

From there to Swanage is not part I've walked.

Have you got the right OS maps?

Rome, Italy
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: walking in Dorset

Many thanks for the suggestion. Can you tell me which map(s) I need and where I could go in London to buy them?

4. Re: walking in Dorset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:16