We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

Hi guys~

Would like to seek comments/input on the itinerary below:

Day 1 Arrive London

Day 2 London

Day 3 London

Day 4 Day trip to Windsor, Oxford, Stonehenge (return to London)

Day 5 London to Cotswold via Self Drive

Day 6 Cotswold to Bath via Self Drive

Day 7 Bath to London via Self Drive (return vehicle) , London to York via Train

Day 8 York

Day 9 York to Yorkshire via Self Drive

Day 10 Yorkshire to York via Self Drive (return vehicle), York to Edinburgh via Train

Day 11 Edinburgh

Day 12 Day Trip to Scottish Highlands

Day 13 Flight back home

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

On day 4 you go to Stonehenge (which is fairly near Bath) and Oxford (that is near the Cotswolds).

Then on day 5 you back to the Cotswolds.

And on day 6 you back to Bath.

Seems a lot of toing and froing for little gain.

If Day 4 is an organised coach trip then you will spend 6 hours on the coach, and one hour in Windsor, one hour in Oxford and one hour at Stonehenge.

Drop the tour on day 4 and do a self drive on days 4/5/6 covering all the places.

Far less back and forward and you will see more of each place.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

I agree, you could do a day trip from London to Windsor by train: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g186419-c157699/Wi… but best not to combine it with Oxford and Stonehenge, as it's too much. Check out this thread which suggests not combining Windsor with another place in one day: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k43…

It's easy to visit Oxford on your way to the Cotswolds; my partner and I did this (hiring a car at Heathrow Airport), parking at Peartree Park and Ride, before continuing on to the Cotswolds (Chipping Campden). Check this website for Oxford Park and Ride: parkandride.net/oxford/html/oxford_parkandri…

You can visit Stonehenge on your way back to London from Bath. Or do a day tour (from Bath) of Stonehenge, etc, with Mad Max tours - they cover Avebury, Castle Combe and Lacock as well; that's if you're interested in tours: madmaxtours.co.uk/index.php/tours/stonehenge…

By Yorkshire, do you mean the Yorkshire Dales or North York Moors?

For your day trip of the Highlands, do you intend to hire a car or take or tour? You're already hiring a car at two different locations, so it mat be more relaxing to just do a day tour from Edinburgh.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 03:28
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

PS You could visit Windsor Castle and Oxford on your way to the Cotswolds if you get to Windsor early (9.45am opening): royalcollection.org.uk/visit/…plan-your-visit and spend the afternoon in Oxford. That will free up a day.

If you're planning to visit the North York Moors on your day in Yorkshire, perhaps if would be best to continue to Edinburgh by car (assuming you have parking at your accommodation in Edinburgh); you could then use the car to tour the Highlands as well. (Although driving in Edinburgh is not easy; my partner and I used a SatNav and that helped a lot.)

However, with this itinerary of only 14 days, you're spending less time in each place than if you added a couple of days as you indicated you might in your previous thread.

Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

Thanks you guys

We don't mind doing tours for some days .. but a ques though ..

Doesn't the tour to Avebury, Castle Combe and Lacock .... visit Cotswold too?

Wouldn't I be doing Cotswold twice?

Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

Also, which is recommended ? Yorkshire Dales or North York Moors?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

The Mad Max tour of Stonehenge and Avebury visits Lacock and Castle Combe, two villages in the south Cotswolds. If you plan to drive to the north Cotswolds from Oxford (eg Chipping Campden) you could drive down to Bath via Stow-on-the-Wold, the Slaughters, Bourton-on-the-Water, Northleach, Bibury, Malmesbury, etc, and save Castle Combe and Lacock for the tour (if that's what you want to do).

Or you could simply visit Stonehenge, etc, on your way from Bath to London if you want to do it on your own.

Check out this website to decide which you'd prefer: www.yorkshire.com/places/north-york-moors

www.yorkshire.com/places/yorkshire-dales

The North York Moors are close to the coastal town of Whitby, if you're interested in seeing the coast.

Perhaps you should just go from York to Edinburgh by train (you'll have some coastal views on the way) as you originally planned; I think you may be trying to see too much in 14 days. Then you can spend more than one day in the Cotswolds or Bath if you wish. But it's up to you of course.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 14:37
Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

I am thinking to skip Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors altogether. Am I missing much?'

Will all the cities we are visiting (London, York, Oxford, Bath, Edinburgh), will it all start to look the same after a while. Should we do more small towns instead?

This is my revised plan.

Day 1 Arrive London

Day 2 London

Day 3 London

Day 4 London - Windsor Castle - Oxford - North Cotswold via Self Drive

Day 5 North Cotswold

Day 6 North Cotswold to Bath

Day 7 Day tour to Stonehenge, Avebury Stone Circles, Castle Combe from Bath

Day 8 Bath to York via Train

Day 9 York

Day 10 York to Edinburgh

Day 11 Edinburgh

Day 12 Day Trip to Scottish Highlands

Day 13 Flight back home

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

As you are now driving into Windsor (?) here are some tips for where to park.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c132451/Winds…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

If you're concerned about seeing too many cities and not enough countryside, perhaps you should concentrate on the north of England, since you want to visit Scotland as well. (The Cotswolds have lots of villages in beautiful countryside though.)

London, York and Edinburgh are interesting cities. From York, you could hire a car and stay a couple of nights in the Yorkshire Dales or the North York Moors, then drive up to Scotland, finishing in Edinburgh so you don't have to return the car in York and hire another one in Scotland. I think the bigger car hire companies allow you to pick up in York and drop off in Edinburgh.

There are lots of castles and ruins in Yorkshire: yorkshire.com/what-to-do/…castles-and-ruins

Stirling has an impressive castle, as does Edinburgh. If you started in Stirling, you could drive up through Glencoe to Fort William, across to Pitlochry and back down to Edinburgh in a couple of days. Drop off the car and explore Edinburgh for a couple of days before returning home.

So your itinerary could look something like this:

1. London

2. London

3. London

4. London (day trip to Windsor or Hampton Court Palace...?)

5. Train to York

6. York

7. Hire car - Yorkshire Dales/Moors

8. Yorkshire Dales/Moors

9. Scotland (Stirling or...?)

10. Overnight in the Highlands

11. Edinburgh (drop off car)

12. Edinburgh

13. Fly home

If you skip Windsor you could spend an extra day in Edinburgh - there's plenty to see - or somewhere else. There are lots of castles in Scotland: visitscotland.com/en-au/see-do/attractions/g…

Edited: 05 July 2013, 07:04
10. Re: 14D12N Itinerary ...seeking opinions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:18