We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks in England/Scotland in September

Denver, Colorado
10 posts
Save Topic
2 Weeks in England/Scotland in September

Hi All, My husband and I have a honeymoon coming up, and plan to spend about a week in England and a week in Scotland. This is our rough itinerary, and I would love some input as to where we should go, things to do (or not do), places to stay, and how to get around.

Days 1-3: London (British Parliament, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, trains to Winsor castle and Hamden Court)

Days 4-5: Rabbies 2-Day Tour of Cotswolds, Bath and Oxford (lodging included for 1 night; stay in London the next)

Day 6: Train to Manchester/York (stay the night in one - suggestions?)

Day 7: Train from York to Edinburgh; Tour palace, castle, royal mile; Stay the night (suggestions?)

Day 8: Spend Day in Edinburgh; Stay the night

Days 9-11: Rabbies 3-day Isle of Skye Tour, staying in Portree for 2 nights (Glencoe, the Lochaber region around Fort William Eilean Donan Castle, Isle of Skye, Cuilin Mountains, 5 Sisters of Kintail, Loch Ness, Central Highlands, Pitlochry and then back to Edinburgh for the night). I do wish we could take one of the scenic trains (from Inverness to Kyle or from Mallaig to Glasgow), but I think a guided tour through this area might be easiest...

Day 12: Either drive or take the train to Glasgow - which is better? Stay the night (suggestions?)

Day 13: Spend Day in Glasgow - What should we do/see, and what is the best way to get around the city?

Day 14: Travel from Glasgow back to London (Train or Flight? Any scenic train trips back?)

Thank you!

Hampton Court Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Mysterious Sites, Gardens
Dover Castle
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Arundel Castle and Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks in England/Scotland in September

Definitely stay the night in York. It's only a couple of hours from London by train and you'll have the rest of the day to enjoy exploring the city (it's compact, so easy to get around on foot). Book train tickets 10-12 weeks in advance for cheaper fairs (buy separate tickets: London to York; York to Edinburgh - these cheap fares are not flexible though). Catch the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow as well (no need to book; it's a short distance and there's no advantage in booking; just buy a ticket on the day.)

It's probably best to fly home from Glasgow - consider an open-jaw ticket (fly in to London; out of Glasgow, possibly via London anyway).

Edited: 26 July 2013, 02:18
2. Re: 2 Weeks in England/Scotland in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 06:19