We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Bath to Chester -- what to do on the way?

Vernon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drive from Bath to Chester -- what to do on the way?

We'll be driving from Bath to Chester on a Tuesday in October. Any suggestions of places to stop on the way to break up the long drive? We enjoy castles and manor houses or other interesting sights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Bath to Chester -- what to do on the way?

Instead of going up the motorways deviate into Wales across the M4 then pick up the A49 back to England through Hereford, Leominster and Ludlow. All historic towns and stop at Ludlow to eat and see the castle.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Bath to Chester -- what to do on the way?

Another vote for coming up the A49. A lovely route with typical ,gentle, green English scenery

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
566 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Bath to Chester -- what to do on the way?

I'd second the idea of avoiding the M5/M6 route - the traffic can be hellish, and you won't see very much of great interest en route, other than a middle-distance view of the Malvern Hills between Tewkesbury and Worcester. The A49, on the other hand, is one of my favourite north-south 'M6 avoidance' roads. As Ktw0 suggests, use the Severn crossing (you will have to pay a toll to enter Wales, though not if coming the other way...); head up the Wye Valley from Chepstow to Monmouth - you will pass the ruins of Tintern Abbey on the way. Maybe stop for a coffee and a stroll around Monmouth, then head on up the A49 via Hereford (splendid cathedral), Leominster and Ludlow. Just before Craven Arms on the left hand side is Stokesay Castle, which English Heritage describe as 'quite simply the finest and best preserved fortified medieval manor house in England' - I can't disagree, and I think this would be right up your street.

Continuing north, on either side of Church Stretton the road passes through the Shropshire hill country en route to Shrewsbury (which really needs a day to itself) and Whitchurch. Any of these places would repay exploration; your problem will be in deciding which to leave out!

Vernon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Bath to Chester -- what to do on the way?

Thank you for your great input. I'm wishing we had more time to enjoy the many wonderful sights along the route. Any suggestions for a lunch spot?

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Bath to Chester -- what to do on the way?

Www . Shropshiretourism.co.uk/Ludlow/

Have a look its about halfway and is known for restaurants and Inns.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Bath to Chester -- what to do on the way?

http://www.shakespeare.org.uk/home.html

Or a few hours in Stratford doing the Shakespeare sights

7. Re: Drive from Bath to Chester -- what to do on the way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:21