We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ten Days in England & Scotland

Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ten Days in England & Scotland

Hi - Our first trip to the UK. We're looking for a recommended itinerary for 10-14 days touring England and Scotland. Not sure yet if we will do it by car, but may do it via train. We do want to spend several days in London, visit the Yorkshire dales, and visit Falkirk Scotland (my father was born there). Would appreciate any advice from experienced travelers.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

Suggest you get some good guide books and work out what interests you. We cannot guess what that might be.

You will have worked out where Falkirk is and that it easy to get to by rail via Edinburgh. Details of all UK trains on nationalrail website.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

Perhaps you could give us a bit more detail, what do you like to see/do? What is the demographic if your party (kids, etc)?

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

Think about an open jaw flight so that you could, from example, fy into London and out of Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Falkirk is slightly quicker to travel to by train from Glasgow than Edinburgh but there is only 5 minutes or so of journey difference.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 09:54
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,044 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

London, Yorkshire and Scotland is going to be quite enough for ten days.

Leeds is the main gateway to the Yorkshire Dales; it has good train links with London (1-2 trains an hour taking just over 2 hours) and reasonable train connections to Scotland (i.e. Edinburgh or Glasgow).

If you travel on to Skipton you can catch a direct train from there to Carlisle over the scenic Settle & Carlisle route through the mountains, then catch a train from Carlisle to either Edinburgh or Glasgow. You can also catch this train from Leeds or Keighley.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

When you've narrowed down your Dales part of your trip, post in the North Yorkshire forum for local advice. If you aren't doing the Leeds -Carlisle train trip I would personally recommend you travel from London to York and not Leeds. It's a faster trip and York itself is stunning and well worth spending some time exploring There's easy access from York to the Dales too if you decide to rent a car.

Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

We are definitely interested in seeing castles & estate homes, but also want to see the usual historic sites (since it is our first trip), as well as James Harriott country (Yorkshire). We trace our ancestry back to English royalty (my wife is related to Henry VIII), and I have a family history in Falkirk, Scotland. Is the best way to start in London, go slowly north via train, then return to London at the end via train? How long does it take to get from Edinburgh to London by train?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,044 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

Hopefully "10 day" is not inclusive of arrival/departure days? For a trip like this I would figure out what you want to do, how long it takes to do, (inducing all travel times), and then decide how many days I need to allocate.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

Edinburgh to London by train takes from about 4 hours 20 minutes to 4 hours 45 minutes; it's slower if you take the Caledonian Sleeper (overnight) train. Use scotrail scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html… for the Calenonian Sleeper or nationalrail www.nationalrail.co.uk for general UK train travel. Advance tickets (on sale from 10-12 weeks in advance) are cheaper for longer journeys such as Edinburgh-London.

Bluemont, Virginia
Level Contributor
59 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

I too would recommend looking into an "open jaws" flight. I just booked a flight for next June from IAD to Glasgow and returning from Heathrow that was very comparable in price to that of a roundtrip.

10. Re: Ten Days in England & Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:18