We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning to England for 10 days

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Returning to England for 10 days

So i am returning to England for ten days after 20 years away. I will be taking my American wife to the UK for her first time. I grew up in lived in Oxford until my late 20s when i moved to the US. The only thing i have arranged is a 70s reunion for my old school. We will be going in late march 2014 so i have plenty of time to plan. . What to do, where to take her and where to stay.....This is where i need your help. London for sure, Paris maybe, Cornwall or Devon. What do all you American Ladies like to do or see? We have a rental car and flights booked in and out of LHR. Thank you all for your help. Steve and Carol.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,016 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning to England for 10 days

Buy your wife some guidebooks--I like the DK Eyewitness Travel London and Paris books. Everyone is different, so what may be the highlight of your trip may bore me silly.

Ten days sounds like a long time, but if it includes travel days (arrival, departure, going to a second place) I would stick to two places.

If it were me, and again, this is a personal choice, I would fly in to London, stay there for 5 days, perhaps do one day trip--to Oxford? Then take the Eurostar to Paris. You would need to buy tickets 120 days out to get the well priced fares--they only rise after that.

Fly out of Paris, or wherever it is that you go next, so you don't waste time backtracking.

Post a draft itinerary here, and we will let you know if you can save money, or see something you hadn't thought of.

Happy planning!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning to England for 10 days

You won't need a car for the London bit and you might be in for a shock if you think driving about is like it was 20 years ago!

Not sure what your memories of London are, but things have really changed and I'm sure your wife will enjoy a walk along the river, followed by a nice dinner in a restaurant overlooking the Thames. Most of the buildings have been cleaned up and at night the whole of the riverside is lit up and twinkly. :)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,016 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning to England for 10 days

Yes, definitely ditch the car for London!

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning to England for 10 days

I would leave Paris for another trip. 4/5 days in London and then 4/5 days somewhere else in the UK would give your wife more of a feel for your home country. If you try to fit in Paris, then you risk losing the returning-home-ness of the trip in my opinion.

I agree with the others about the car. In fact, if you can, cancel the booking. You can do London plus lots of day trips by train. Then places like Cornwall or Devon you can take a train down there to save hours of driving and then depending on what you want to do, hire a car for a day.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning to England for 10 days

You say you have a rental car booked - I assume that is for use as soon as you land at Heathrow ?. Firstly - a very bad idea for a jet lagged traveller, secondly - if you intend visiting London first, a car will be an extreme burden, expensive (congestion charges, parking) and actually pretty useless as a convenient means of transport within London.

Even though you have booked it, can you re-arrange to pick it up several days later when you could use it for a few days outside London ?

6. Re: Returning to England for 10 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:19